Help Fry just became free swimming, how often to feed?

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

My Bolivian ram fry just became free swimming about an hour ago, so I fed them a small amount.
The problem is that it’s just about nighttime.
I fed them at 7;00pm should I wait up and feed again at 11;00pm before going to bed?
Will they be ok over night without being fed.
I‘m only worried because they only have 1 meal in them since becoming free swimming.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Overfeeding is not good in a fry tank, so I'd just relax and give them a few feeds tomorrow.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
qldmick said:
Overfeeding is not good in a fry tank, so I'd just relax and give them a few feeds tomorrow.
Awesome thanks for the help :)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Fry do need to be fed several times a day. You don't have to feed through the night. They also need water changes more often than adult fish. Are your fry in their own tank? If not I will suggest you move then to their own tank so you can overfeed without over feeding the adults and can keep up on water changes. Fry emit a growth hormone. It needs to be kept down with water changes. If not it can prevent the fish growing as quickly as they should.

LightBrownPillow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fry will be fine overnight, just 2-3 feeds a day like others said is good. If you isolate the fry in their own tank or a breeding bin within a larger tank, you might toss in some live plants (moss balls, floating stuff) to give them some cover and something to nibble on between feeds.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Fry do need to be fed several times a day. You don't have to feed through the night. They also need water changes more often than adult fish. Are your fry in their own tank? If not I will suggest you move then to their own tank so you can overfeed without over feeding the adults and can keep up on water changes. Fry emit a growth hormone. It needs to be kept down with water changes. If not it can prevent the fish growing as quickly as they should.
Hello, the fry are in a 10 gallon with the parents, I know this is small, I wasn’t planning on breeding the parents in there, I was quarantining them. Once the fry are big enough to move safely I will move them to a 30 gallon which I’m hoping to pick up today:) For now I am monitoring water quality extremely closely and changing water often ( everyday changing 1/3 I’ll up that soon) Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

New Threads