Fry in the Filter, Need Help

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can't get an endler fry out of the filter/heater section on a fluval 9g.
I've tried clear scoops, hoping they couldn't see it and would swim in.
I've tried sucking them out with tubing but they're incredibly wily.
I've turned off the filter and opened the section block up hoping they'd swim through.
I tried flushing the water from the other side hoping to push them through, or over.
I don't have a net small enough and honestly I'm worried about their size anyhow.
I ordered a smaller net (I think it's smaller) to use when they get bigger. But.. seems crummy to leave them in there for weeks?

Is there any one with other ideas out there?

I'm toying with the idea of leaving the filter off overnight but I'd hate to risk 7 fishes health (1 betta, 4 endlers, and 2 endler fry) for the 1 fry.. :(
IMG_2439.jpeg

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
YellowGuppy said:
Any updates? Is it still in there?
Well I believe that one made it out, and joined the other 3 'elder' fry in the tank, however the very next day one of the other Mamas in another tank gave birth and 3 fry ended up in the filter section there on the 15g, and then of course I've got new fry in the 9g and they're in the filter section as well now.

Oddly enough one of the "Dads" ended up in the 9g filter section too, before the 4th elder fry found their way out, and he swam back through - not sure if he showed the fry how to do it or just accidental timing.

I'd stuff the vent opening to stop this, but they got through when it was stuffed before so... I guess I'm just leaving it open and keeping an eye on them for feedings and care until they get bigger. Way too stressful trying to figure out how to get them out of there, for fish and human.

Fluval Flex are not my preferred breeding tanks after all this. :banghead:

New Threads