Fry In Community Tank Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by the_cros, Apr 23, 2018.

1. the_crosNew MemberMember

Hello All. I need a little advice/direction from the experts.

I have some new additions (Egyptian Mouthbrooder fry) in my 50g community tank. Their mother is doing her job so far; keeping everyone else away when they are swimming free, and she protects them in her mouth (sucks them up) the rest of the time.

Question:
    Do I attempt to relocate the fry to my 10g tank or just leave them alone? If yes, how? Wait for them to be in her mouth then move her/them in one go? Or is there another way to relocate them safely?

2. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

I beleive either option to be ok, you risk loosing some to the community tank but i leave fry in community tank and always am left with some, if you arent willing to loose any, remove them either with a net, very carfully or while in the mother mouth, transfur her to new tank

Edit to add: the fey I deal with are guppy fry, so the others eat them, mouthberrors could be different but I think it's basicly same system, others Wil chime in in time and you'll get more definitive answers

3. 123Valued MemberMember

I think I would consider what other fishes are around. Also on one side it seems safe around the mother that is protecting them, but when she will not carry them anymore in mouth will they be still small enough for other fish to eat? I think you should count with some possible loses if you leave them in the community tank. :emoji_shark: But maybe if they are quick enough and you have some plants or decorations they could hide around :)

4. the_crosNew MemberMember

Additional info.

Community tank mates (all juvenile)
    - Angel
    - Pentazona Barb
    - Cardinal tetras
    - Cory Cats

Not sure how long the mother will keep them in her mouth... that’s what/when I am most worried about. They will still be pretty small when that happens.

There are lots of places to hide, but not too sure how fast they will be.

5. penguin02Well Known MemberMember

IMO it's always better to raise fry in a smaller grow out. It gives you the opportunity to closely watch them grow and feed them multiple times a day.

6. the_crosNew MemberMember

I’m leaning towards moving them. Hoping I stress her (and then) our as little as possible.

My 2 tanks have the same water parameters (pH 7, and fully cycled) and I keep both @ 25.5/78 degrees. Can I just move them quickly (net and move) or do I need to acclimatize them first?

7. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

If they are the same parameter and temp you can move over right away, no acclamation needed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice