Fry Help

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,
So I was carrying out regular mantinence on my tank and just blowing sand off my rocks with a turkey baster post water change when I saw a small white fry and managed to catch it with the turkey baster, I chucked it in the old breeder box I have from when I attempted to hatch killifhs from eggs, I'm super confused as to how the fry got in my tank, I've searched everywhere and can't see anymore, I have some micro worms from my killifish so I'll feed him that, any ideas what he could be?
20180512_191647.jpg
will post better pics in a bit. These are the ways in which he could have possibly entered the tank:

1.) When I was hatching killifish u accidently dropped the tube into the tank, resulting in some eggs falling out, I tried to pick them all back up but may have missed one or two, could he be one of those eggs?

2.) A friend recently gave me some BN plecos, my mum went to pick them up when I was at school and she put the tank water in my tank, is it possible that this fry managed to hitch a ride?

Thanks,
Ethan

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Ethan,
Sadly, the picture isnt workinf for me either. Could you try postkng it again?
Both of those scenarios are possible. Are there any ither fish besides killis and plecos in your tank?

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, sorry about the pic, I'll attach it again at the end of this post. I have some zebra danios, a kribensis and some mollies, my first thought was the mollies but they are only a few months old and none of them look pregnant.
Ive spoken to someone from fishlore on Instagram and he thinks it's a guppy as he used to breed them, and so did the guy that I got the BN plecos from.

Ethan
IMG_20180512_194341_523.jpg

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I can assure you that is not a BN Pleco fry, a zebra Danio fry or a Kribensis fry. It could be a killi (I've never raised them, I don't know that it's not) but I do think that it is more likely a Molly. They often only drop a couple during their first batch and they start quite young.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If youre sure none of your mollies were preganant and you only found the one fry, i agree its probably a guppy fry

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, sorry for the late reply!, I fed him some crushed flakes and he seemed to like them, I'll keep you guys updated on his progress. I'm 99.9% sure it isn't my Mollys as I've had a pregnant platy in the past and none of them look pregnant at all.

Ethan

sfsamm said:
I can assure you that is not a BN Pleco fry, a zebra Danio fry or a Kribensis fry. It could be a killi (I've never raised them, I don't know that it's not) but I do think that it is more likely a Molly. They often only drop a couple during their first batch and they start quite young.
The guy had lots of guppy fry in his tank, so it may be that or a Molly, I'll keep you guys updated as it progresses.

Ethan

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Xbox62 said:
The guy had lots of guppy fry in his tank, so it may be that or a Molly, I'll keep you guys updated as it progresses.

Ethan
It is definitely a livebearer like everyone suggested. I am almost certain it is a guppy fry that hitched a ride. My guppies jump into every container that I put in my tank. I like to think of them as the aliens from Toy Story looking for the claw!

My guppies grow quite fast and I really only feed them crushed flakes and ground up pellets. They do like to have something to hide in so I like to make sure that there is floating plants for them. They eat the micro nutrients that grow there and it keeps them from stressing out. My juveniles that are a few months old still like to hide in them.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
AQUA_LOVER said:
It is definitely a livebearer like everyone suggested. I am almost certain it is a guppy fry that hitched a ride. My guppies jump into every container that I put in my tank. I like to think of them as the aliens from Toy Story looking for the claw!

My guppies grow quite fast and I really only feed them crushed flakes and ground up pellets. They do like to have something to hide in so I like to make sure that there is floating plants for them. They eat the micro nutrients that grow there and it keeps them from stressing out. My juveniles that are a few months old still like to hide in them.
Ok, great I guess he'll make it then, the last guppies I had were a looong time ago, sadly when I was inexperienced and had an overstocked 20L, I feel really bad as they must have died from horrible peramiters ️, I'm glad I am more knowledgeable now and this little guy will survive . I'm just impressed that he survived that long with the krib and not being fed, he's a tough little guy.

I will post pics when he's developed and I know what he is,.

Ethan

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom