Fry growth rates

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Nympxzie, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

This isn't news to many of you that fry raised in small tanks grow slow.

Guppy fry born May 19th 2015 raised in 5g tank .35-.5 inches

Guppy fry born July 15th 2015 raised in 20g long .35 inches

Guppy newly born .15 inches

Barely week old fry doubled in size as opposed to their 10 week old counterparts which took 10x as long to get to the same size!!! I;m hoping that by moving all 5g fry to the 20L I can have them all ready to go before September.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It also depends on how your doing water changes. Nitrates build up faster in a small tank and Nitrates will make them grow slower.

carol

3. OP
    OP
    Nympxzie

That's true! The 20 is newly cycled so I'm between 5-10 nitrate where as the 5 is probably 20-40 nitrate.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

yep those Nitrates are slowing down or even possibly stunting your fry growth rate.

When I raised Angelfish fry I started out with a 10g tank because it was easier for them to find food. I did a 90% water change every night. After about a month they went to a 29g tank and significant water changes continued for another month. It's a hassle but it you under take breeding fish there are responsibilities that go with it.

Good Luck!

carol

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm I have a 29g planned out for any Nyererei cichlid fry that I get later on, because I know bigger tank means faster growth... But am I going overboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    Nympxzie

If you're planning on raising more than 1 batch of fry, I'd say that's not overboard at all.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok great! Then my plan in effect continues. Cycling should be done by tomorrow. But I'm told I won't see fry for 3-4 months since I still have juvies lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice