Fry Food

1. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

Just bought this stuff at my LFS (discounted bc it expires this December) for the Molly Fry.

Knowing nothing about it, does it seem okay? Do you think it's sufficient for them?

The currently thriving 4 Fry from Round 1 samples it today and gobbled it up without hesitation.

Previously, I made a homemade baby food for them of made up of NLS Thera-A pellets, Omega One color pellets, a few algae wafers, and a couple shrimp pellets--all ground up into a super fine powder. 3732c534663ff43b430cf2b7d6fc954d.jpg bf0c038c9350c21e005fb03487bd6d1c.jpg 3e401e0984f7fbdd8bafd15c477b64d6.jpg

2. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

normal crushed hi quality foods and live microworms/infusora have always been sufficient for raising fry. I think this stuff is a gimmick. but that is only my opinion since I haven't used it except for once ten years ago with dissatisfaction.

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

spirulina is like the 9th thing on the list, The first thing on the list is corn starch? Eh, I wouldn't use it unless in a pinch. I think Hikari first bites has to much "junk" in it but I know it works fairly well. My baby mollies are still in the tank and eating veggie wafers, first bites, cyclops, mysis shrimp (if they get it before the adults in the tank do) and spirulina flakes. They also pick at the algae on the rock I have in the tank all day long.

4. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

Can you elaborate on your dissatisfaction, so that I know why you didn't like it?

5. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

Maybe i'll just keep grinding up my "house blend" and use this stuff occasionally if I'm in a rush or something

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

You dont really need anything special to feed Molly fry. I like infusoria but I would only use that to feed dwarf corydora fry and stuff like that, if I am feeding Molly fry I would save time and either give them my homemade food once they grow a mouth or finely crushed flake for the first week or two.

7. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

well I only picked it because I was working at petsmart and it was in the bargain bin. practically free I bought and used on my krib fry, I saw no significant difference from ground up food I already had on hand and figured the premium price and label was merely a gimmick. but that's just one instance and one product.

8. OP
    OP
    CarrieFisher

Okay, I got it for $3.50, so I'm not too bent outa shape about it, lol

9. Jake Meyer

Jake Meyer New Member Member

Another method of feeding fry is to turn the Aquarium light on for 15-24 hours for a day to get algae to grow so the fry have a reliable food source.