Fry falling out of breeder trap

aquawolf

My platy was pregnant so I placed her in a breeding trap to have her fry. All was well and she finished having her babies so I gentally removed her and when I moved the trap (and even while sitting still) fry managed to pass the sub floor and went into the grate area where they fell out and were eaten..all but one. Am I setting it up wrong or what? Thanks. (Here's a picture of the breeding trap, you can see one fry down by the grate).

WP_20140125_001.jpg

LyndaB

I don't use any type of breeder trap. I just keep my fish to have their babes in the main tank. Keep lots of java moss and driftwood and the fry hide out until they know they're big enough to not get eaten.

lala29

I find a breeding net is more helpful I have only every had a few fry escape and they were two guppies.
I breed platy and guppy and I took my breeding box back, its kind if useless in my eyes invest in a net! A lot less stressful for you and the mummy fishy

kevymd

I like the breeding net much better because the edges are softer and I think it's less stressful on the moms. And I haven't had a one baby escape from my breeding net, despite my fumbles.

Harlebleondora

Is that a marina multI breeder? They are useless for trapping the fry, they slip through the holes in the bottom,

I recommend aqua manta brand breeding traps.

https://aquamanta.com.au/?wpsc-product=breeding-box-2

They come with a airlift that you can adjust the flow of to filter the box.

aquawolf

Thank you for all of your input! I have a net but I already have one fry in it and don't want the mom to eat it especially since I am not able to be home all day. Maybe I will look for a breeder net with separators or make one!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views
BigXor
Replies
Views
MaxineB
Replies
Views