Fry explosion

RobynI

I decided to stop saving my guppy and platy babies and just let nature take its course. But suddenly babies have overtaken the tank. There’s so many I can’t count and they’re not even trying to hide. Just swimming around and the adults don’t seem to care. I don’t know what to do. Have had a couple of adult deaths recently, for no obvious reasons. Water quality parameters are all fine. Turned the heater up a little because it’s been cold here and wonder if that’s the reason for breeding frenzy and simultaneously higher mortality rate?

fjh

Well Known
Did you increase the temperature in the tank or the temperature in the room? what temperature did you used to keep them at and what is it now?

RobynI

fjh said:
Did you increase the temperature in the tank or the temperature in the room? what temperature did you used to keep them at and what is it now?
Temp in tank. It was about 26 and now it’s 28-29. It does feel noticeably warmer.

qldmick

Well Known
I would drop the tank temp back down, I keep mine around 24oC during winter.
Advertise babies for free or very cheap on gumtree.

RobynI

qldmick said:
I would drop the tank temp back down, I keep mine around 24oC during winter.
Advertise babies for free or very cheap on gumtree.
Thanks, I will bring it down a couple of degrees. I am reluctant to advertise babies because I think people will use them to feed other fish (like my uncle does). The local aquarium shop has offered to take them as a trade when they’re a bit older. Thanks for your reply.

Top Bottom