Fry eat fry?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ninjapuff, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ninjapuff

ninjapuffValued MemberMember

I have platy, swordtail, and Molly fry that range from 5wks to 3wks old in a 'baby saver' floating in the parents tank, now one of my platys is having babies again. Has anyone experienced very new fry being eaten by older (but still small) fry? I don't know of o can put the new fry in with the more mature fry, I can't let the older frying swim the tank because the adult fish still eat them, help?

2. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrookWell Known MemberMember

Hi Ninja :)
    I have 2 different batches of fry living together. The oldest batch is 3 months old and the other batch is only 2 months old, some of them are still tiny compared to the oldest batch. The bigger fry havnt eaten the tiny ones that i have noticed at all. If your oldest batch is 5 weeks, i dont see any way they would be able to eat brand new fry their mouths would not be big enough? If so, perhaps by a cheap breeder net to sit in the tank for the new fry?

3. kingguppy9000

kingguppy9000Valued MemberMember

I'd say it all depends on the fish, I have swordtails, I have gotten maybe 8 or 10 batchs of babies in the past 3 months. I was kepping them all together until maybe three weeks ago.
    I think since I was adding babies so frequently, the big ones didn't seem to see them as food, guess it's because they are always around. Idk.

Then again, I have started leaving the babies in the parent tank till they hit two or three weeks old. I have a much higher survivability rate if I just leave them to hide till they can eat larger brine shrimp.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  4. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello nin...

I've kept livebearing fish for several years and never known fry to eat one another. However, if you don't feed more and more often, the adults will prey on the fry. One of the rules of fish keeping is: "No matter how peaceful a species is, if another fish is small enough to fit into the mouth of a larger fish, then the small fish can be eaten". Just feed all the fish more and more often. Well fed adult fish are much less likely to bother the fry. Toss in some bushy, floating plants like Hornwort or Water sprite. This will give the fry some hiding places until they grow up.

Old

5. AlphonsusWell Known MemberMember

If it fits in a fish mouth it will eat it. Older fry will eat younger fry if they are hungry and there are no places for the fry to hide

6. OP
    OP
    ninjapuff

Okay, thank you all! I thought my sword tails were big enough, so I let one out with the parents, then the mother ate it (it's larger than my Molly's and platies). So I've been a little leery. I have anarchist, and a few vines(?) of hornwart, plus a couple plastic plants. It seems to be enough cover for them to survive long enough for me to notice them and get them out. I tried leaving the first set out with the parents and I went from 15 babies to 5 in a day or two.
    How often should I be feeding the parents to keep them from eating their fry? I feed once a day as of right now, but if I'm walking past my tank and my platys are at the top looking for food I give them a pinch more. I'm just so worried about over feeding.

7. AlphonsusWell Known MemberMember

The best is to let nature and luck take it course or remove the fry and put them in a separate tank. I had 10 fry adds them into a 10 gallon with 6 male guppies and 1 survived. That 1fry which is still a possible meal is no long touched or chased by the other guppies.

8. Kell1980New MemberMember

I have mollies that are all at different stages of pregnancy and are dropping fry at irregular intervals so I set up a small nursery tank which currently hold fry ranging from 24 hours old to 5 weeks. It's heavily planted and has a chunky gravel substrate. I feed them twice a day and so far have encountered no problems at all with them eating each other, in fact they all seem very happy and sociable.

9. OP
    OP
    ninjapuff

Thank you everyone, shortly after posting this I went to check up on my fry and watch the adults swim, and I noticed one of the bigger platys picking on one of the smaller, newer ones. It was just the one being a bully, he was clearly not big enough to eat the other fry. I took him out of the breeder box and let him lose with the adults (hoping he would find somewhere to hide quickly), after that I haven't seen the bullying again. Thank you all so much!

10. AlphonsusWell Known MemberMember

I've see one of my male guppy try to eat a fry but only got half way of its body. I tried to get the male to drop it but when he did the fry was already dead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice