fry disappearing

1. kribensis keeper Member Member

My kribs just had some fry and the fry are free swimming but latly everytime i check on the fry the amount of fry is smaller any way the other day i had a look in the filter and there were the fry i tried to catch them but it was very hard can you please help and tell me what i can do to stop the fry from getting sucked up by the filter

i do not have a spare tank:;nin2

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Cover the intake filter tube with the foot of a clean, new pantyhose; just secure it with a rubber band. That will stop any more fry from getting sucked into it. If you don't have pantyhose, you could slice a hole in a sponge that allows just enough room to slip it over the intake tube. Or you could stuff sponge or filter media into the intake tube. There's also a link somewhere on here with a do-it-yourself fry net, but I can't find it....

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Krib. Some good suggestions from Ilovee. I personally like adding a sponge to all of my filter intakes. Even though I have large fish and don't worry about them being sucked into the tube, the sponge allows for more good bacteria colonies and you can just rinse it in siphoned tank water when you do a water change.
    Ken

4. kribensis keeper Member Member

thank you but bad news my female krib died overnight but i am going to get another when the shop gets more in

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Krib. So sorry to hear that you lost her. RIP.
    Ken

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:'( Oh no. Poor fishy. I'm sorry Krib.

7. kribensis keeper Member Member

tankyou

8. guppy man Member Member

You should cover the intake tube with some clean pant hose or asponge filter. So sad for that krib r.i.p..