Fry Box Question

Bubbleguppy9382

I know they're frowned on but all my tanks have 5 day old fry or full grown guppys I have a guppy about to drop a load of fry! Can 5 day old fry swim up threw a floating birthing box? It's my only solution to them not getting eaten friends like 4 or 5 have tank 3 are 30-60 gallon that are empty waiting for the young 1s to be bigger and gonna take them so can I put a floater box in my nursery tank or can my 5 day fry swim up in it?

JtheFishMan

I know they can go through the box, because that is the purpose, to separate the parents from the fry. But, I don't know if they WILL, because they don't know that's what they're supposed to do.

They certain can fit in, but they may not swim through it.

kallililly1973

If your friends have empty tanks ready for fry why not give them to them and let them acclimate them in their tanks . As long as your around the same area the water should be similar but also be sure everyone knows about the nitrogen cycle before letting any fry out of your care. Eventually the new fry will be able to swim with the adults without being eaten. At least IME that's what has eventually happened.

didiwags

One of my guppies just had a bunch of fry, none survived cause for 1 I wasn't expecting her to give birth so quickly after a partial water change and 2 I have 4 other female fish just waiting for a snack! I would try and move the slightly older fry into another tank and use the box for the new ones coming!

Bubbleguppy9382

I put ththe floater box in with the fry that will be a week old tomorrow and put mama on that the babys are to big to swim up in it but to small to eat new fry I'd think all my older fry are in a separate tank most have been rehomed just don't want to kill them transferring them so young

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
Tscott
Replies
Views
CheshireKat
  • Question
Replies