Fry! Are These A Thing Yet?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Jessicajones0210, Apr 13, 2017.

1. J

Jessicajones0210 New Member Member

ATTACHED A YOUTUBE VIDEO TO VIEW THE FISH:

A male convict and our female "jellybean parrot" had babies - I've read that this is possible as jellybean parrots are a hybrid of convicts and parrots. I've heard the female could be a short bodied pink convict but honestly it looks a lot more like a jellybean parrot and has the orange belly. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THESE BABIES ARE GOING TO END UP LIKE? This is their second time having babies together but the first time around we didn't have a tank separator or anything and they got eaten by our other fish. This time they are protected by a separator and seem to be doing really well, here is a video I took of the female, male, and the babies. This was about 4 days ago, they are already much larger. If anyone has had these before, please share a photo with us because we are excited to see what they will look like grown up!

2. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

parrots are laboratory created specimens, they are not a legitimate SA cichlid. they are highly hybridized and there can be great genetic variation among individuals labeled parrots. im guessing but you probably have a lot of pink convict genes to begin with in that jelly bean. the offspring will likely be very convict-like in body shape. as for coloring, this guy did a very experiment and he used very science. follow this link>>>

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Most Jellybeans are not hybrids, they are just deformed convicts, like Balloon rams, mollies, etc. You have a pink female and a normal male. The fry will likely be deformed, but colored like normal convicts. However, the pink gene will be carried by all the fry. If the male himself is carrying a pink gene (very possible depending on the source) then half the spawn will be pink and half normal colored.

4. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

Fascinating, I was under the impression that the spine curvature was a result of parrot hybridization, not a result of an inbreeding mutation from its own species genome; similar to the balloon molly. i learned something new. now my 2 cent opinion, personally i would not intentionally selectively breed a physical deformity and id destroy ones with exaggerated spine curvature(painful). but u might be fine. since youre breeding back with regular stock genetics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice