Fry and water changes

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've read lots of threads on Fishlore stating that I should change the water 2-3 times a week if I have fry, and so I did.

Well as I was getting ready to change the water, my dads friend who was happily staring at my Firemouths told me that I should change the water once every 10 days so the fry may have microscopic organisms to eat rather than crushed up fish flakes.

Is this true?

I doubted his advice and changed the water anyway and fed my fry crushed flakes.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fry need more than just crushed up flakes....so in that respect I agree...but lack of water changes isnt the way to do it....getting some more foods is kens fish foods makes a great fry food...decapsulated shrimp eggs and golden pearls....AWESOME for all fry when growing...im glad you didnt listen to him on the water changes because deformed fry, from bad water conditions, can be very serious as adults...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of the microscopic critters your fry eat are growing on decor and other stuff in the tank. Unless you let the water sit undisturbed in the sun you aren't going to get a big crop of infusoria which is what I imagine he is talking about.
Are they picking at things in the tank? If so they are eating those microscopic critters
I have a couple of artificial plants that I keep in other tanks that have algae growing all over them. When I have fry I put them in the fry tank so they can eat whatever is growing in the algae.
The foods Shawnie suggested are excellent foods for fry. I use them also.
Carol

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
They pick off the sand more than the plastic plants.. >.<
Their still finding goodies
As we know ammonia is a killer and I have read Nitrates can inhibit growth. So those water changes are very important.
carol

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd be doing waterchanges at least every other day if I were you, it's very important that the fry have pristine water, and it encourages growth.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, Thanks everyone. Hopefully in 2 weeks I'll update with more pictures

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now that my own fry are all free in the main tank, I get worried about (1) sucking fry into the syphon, and (2) the fry being eaten when I remove their hiding places to vacuum. I did discover that you can save a fry sucked into the syphon by pinching the tubing. It allows the fry to swim out (which it will because it doesn't want to be there) and it doesn't kill the suction when you release the pinch. The perils of the young!

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SFwriter said:
Now that my own fry are all free in the main tank, I get worried about (1) sucking fry into the syphon, and (2) the fry being eaten when I remove their hiding places to vacuum. I did discover that you can save a fry sucked into the syphon by pinching the tubing. It allows the fry to swim out (which it will because it doesn't want to be there) and it doesn't kill the suction when you release the pinch. The perils of the young!
haha I have sand as a substrate and when i vacuum the sand the fry swim far away

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads