Frustrating Tank Mates

1. Kevin Athans

Kevin Athans New Member Member

My tank is going very well and I haven't had any deaths. My question is in regards to behavior. I just want to know if my frogs and cherry barbs are acting normal.

I got the African dwarf frogs to help with the guppy population. They are also a favorite of the kids. I got 3 because they like to be in groups. The issue is I only ever seen 2 at a time and haven't found a dead one. At least one is super active during feeding and they don't seem to be bothered by the cories. Other than during feeding, I dont normally see them. Is this normal? Do I need more?

My cherry barbs are beautiful. My only issue is that they tend to spend most of the time hiding in the plants. I increased their school from 6 to 8, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. A few will come out and swim, but they dont swim as a school. Is this normal behavior?

The FYIs
    29 gallon tank, 1 55 gallon biowheel and 55 gallon filter.
    Guppies (number unknown)
    Cory cats 8-10 (laying eggs like crazy)
    Ghost shrimp (10 was the original purchase)
    8 glolight tetra
    8 cherry barbs
    8 neon tetra
    6 black neons

I just want to know if their behavior is normal and or if there is something I can do. Thanks!

My tank

Attached Files:

2. Esli

Esli Valued Member Member

Are you having issues with your frogs? I have researched that many people keep them alone in their own tank for several reasons. Have you seen them bothering the fish or vice versa ?

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore!

How long have you had them? Which tank are they?
    They are really great at hiding and squeezing into the tiniest spaces. Check under decor, even up side. If there was a little space they can easily get underneath and up inside a decoration.
    Are there any gaps in the lid? They can get out if there is even a small gap. I know from personal experience! lol

4. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

You might have to remove the frogs or some if they are scaring off your fish and causing them to hide. If your kids like them alot get the frogs their own tank. Personally i'd get the frogs their own tank.

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Schooling fish school as a defense, if there aren't any predatory fish in the tank (or ones they perceive as ones that will possibly eat them) they won't school or won't school tightly.
    I have rams in one of my tanks and the schoolers hang out together (they are also in a group of 9 and a group of 15), but they aren't running away from the rams.
    You have quite a few schools in one tank where they are all taking up around the same space, which can throw them off.
    Cherries are a little shyer than the other schools you have - i would try some surface cover to block out the light a little and they likely will become bolder.

Frogs do better in a single species tank as they have a habit of eating fish or not being able to find food. They have terrible eyesight and can get picked on by curious or hungry fish. I would move them to a ten or fifteen gallon tank and set it up for just them (up their numbers a couple more and create a multileveled tank so you can see the more often as they would rest on more surfaces than just the ground or a few plants).

6. OP
    OP
    Kevin Athans

Kevin Athans New Member Member

Hey thanks everyone. The tank is only a couple weeks old (with cycled water and filters ). None of the fish are aggressive and the frogs I do see aren't bothered by them, nor are the fish intimidated. It's more a question of how active should they be? One is out a lot, maybe it is a personality thing?

Thanks. I do have surface cover, but it is a very friendly tank. Maybe they aren't school due to lack of threats. Thanks for the tip.