Frustrated!

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh my, am I one frustrated betta owner! Vanguard, my HM that I rescued from Petco around Thanksgiving who was suffering from a horrific case of fin rot is driving me up a wall!!! This week, I went to feed him one day and noticed his tail - which I have spent six months nurturing him to watch it grow back little by little - was back to the same size it was when I bought him. I don't know what he did, but literally overnight, it was gone. This was Thursday when I noticed this. Wednesday when I fed him, it wasn't like that. Yesterday, I did my weekly water changes and gravel vac's. This morning, I woke up and now his dorsal fin is completely shredded!

When I changed the water yesterday, I added garlic and Vita Chem to the tank. I add garlic with every other water change usually. I add Vita Chem every day when I feed them. I am just beside myself. All of my water parameters are normal, the water change was done yesterday, nothing is new in his tank that could be snagging his fins. Is he just doing this to watch me get worked up? If so, now I know how my partner feels...LOL.

Any advice on how to keep him from doing this in the future? Sigh...his tail was looking so good, too!

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If theres a filter in his aquarium do you think his tail and fins could be getting caught in them? I had a betta that would get his tail nipped by the filter whenever he would pass by. But you also said he was a halfmoon. I have a halfmoon, and I've heard and seen firsthand, that when they get bored, they like to chase their tail. And when they catch it, it ends up in a shredded mess. If he is biting his tail, I'm sure he does it when you're not around.

My recommendation would be to cover the intakes of filters with a mesh bag like the ones you get from the pet store to put filter media in, and to every once and a while, add in a new decoration or "toy" for your betta to try out. You can switch out decorations every once and a while (every other water change?) to keep things interesting for your betta.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the advice, I have pantyhose over all of my filter intakes. When I do a water change I take my bettas out of their tanks and rearrange the plants (usually I am sending algae covered ones to my shrimp tank and clean ones back to my betta tanks). I suppose I can go buy some new silk plants, its been a while since I bought new ones. I've just been circulating my current supply through all of my tanks.

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've found that bettas like things they can swim through. Caves and logs are very entertaining with my bettas

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi There...every one of my bettas has one of those, too! Vanguard has a tree-stump type decoration with several entrances. I'm thinking of changing him out of that into a terracotta pot, though.

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A little change never hurts. My fish are always looking for something new. As for the shredded fins, clean water, stress coat, garlic and vitachem will help prevent infections. Good luck with your fish!

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks...thats been the my battle plan since Thanksgiving when I got him. Hence my frustration. His tail was looking great after six months of hard work! And now it has all gone missing...::rips hair out::

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So sorry to hear of your frustrations! Fish seem to to come with a lot of those, but worth it, right?
Hope that you manage to help him grow back those fins. Maybe if he's chasing his tail and nipping he needs a betta muzzle.;D Do they make those? Bet that would be hard to get on...

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well...he is a biter. He's the only one I have (out of five) that will attack my finger if its in his water! The rest just swim around it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom