Frustrated!

1. Shabnam Initiate Member

???
    Dear All
    Please help. One of my tanks is 250 Litres, and I have 6 zebra danios, 5 angels, 1 golden gourami, 2 bala sharks and 2 algae eaters. Its a well planted aquarium, however I am unable to keep the plants in the gravel, i have 4 inches thick gravel (really fine) and latex rocks and stuff, but no matter how deep I stick the plants in- the elodea and is out swimming in the water within a few days.
    after 1 year of this- I have decided to put terracotta planters- now the other plants are fine, but the Elodea is still OUT. I donot know what else to do. All the plants are growing well- and knock on wood- are healthy looking, but they wont stay in the gravel.
    any solutions would be appreicated.
    PS- I dont have this problem with my other fish and aquariums.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I had zebra danios, leopard danios, and blue danios in a 29G for many years and could never keep elodea(anacharis) or any of the cabombas planted because they were constantly playing in it.They will also spawn while playing in these plants. The elodea doesn't root in the substrate well so it doesn't have a good anchor its also a cool water plant and may be breaking at easily at the substrate level.
    Carol

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

5. Shabnam Initiate Member

thanks Heaps. I will try to make that plant holder this weekend. If all else fails, will move the elodea and get more plants for the aquarium.
    Any excuse to get new plants!!!!

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I go by gallons, so I'm not sure how big your tank is, but your sharks and algae eaters are probably going to outgrow it. Both can grow to somewhere around 10 inches. Sorry I can't help with the plants--for now I'm sticking with plastic ones!

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

8. Shabnam Initiate Member

thanks - size of the tank is not an issue with me.
    when they do get bigger- I can always get another tank or take em back to store and get something else in exchange :)

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Elodea also known as anacharis doesn't stay in the gravel well at all. If your bottom fish are very active at all they will keep it knocked out of the gravel as it doesn't root as easily or as fast as we would like it to. take a look at it when it comes up, is it rooted? probably not. I have alot of this particular plant in my 75 (hubby loves it) and my bottom dwellers have got some of it floating at all times. just my thoughts.
    Carol

10. Shabnam Initiate Member

thanks Butterfly- youre right its a bloody chaotic plant. have taken it out today- and am going to pet shop to check out some other plants to put in in its place. Although, am thinking of leaving a few strands floating since the danios love it. They nip in and out playing with each other.

11. tennhound Initiate Member

shabnam i also had problems getting that plnat to stay in the gravel (and I use pea gravel alot courser). It can be quite frustrating especially after you have worked really hard to get it plantd right where you want it.

Did you know if you let it float that sometimes it will bloom? Good luck with it. My Danios loved it no matter wheither it was planted or floating.

MARIE