Frustrated about female bettas being sold too young

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Everywhere I go, in search of female bettas, I keep running into tiny, one inch at best, and they struggle to survive. The males are always larger. Has anyone else noticed this? Are males housed and maintained longer than females before being placed on the market?

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
Probably cos the males command the best prices, so they are better taken care of and better thought of too. The females are not as popular, even though without the females they would not have such valuable & often genetically tampered with males to sell and make money with

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
On top of males commanding a higher price and thus potentially being fed better;

- Also probably because males are separated and raised small containers whereas females are usually raised in community tanks. The small containers probably see daily water changes which tends to boost growth quite a bit over community tanks.
- Males of many species just tend to grow much quicker than females. Sometimes the effect is reversed. I've seen some theorising that this is an adaptive trait meant to minimise inbreeding within the same clutch of offspring, though that's just a theory. Gender inbalance in growth isn't all that unusual, in any case.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not only does selling females too young frustrate me but also how ALL bettas are kept. Annoys me every time I walk into a pet store.

OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed this pattern!

Jenay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My son just got me a PetSmart betta last week, (a surprise since I was still a little sad after my old guy died) and he is probably only 5-6 weeks old. I didn't know anyone sold males this young/tiny.

He is doing really well, and is already eating from my fingertip, but he can barely fit the 1mm size foods in his mouth. I'll probably hatch some brine shrimp for him in a few days, just to give him good fuel for growth.

Since I've been thinking about creating a betta sorority tank, I've thought it's good that the females are so young. (Theorizing that growing up together gives a better chance of long term peace, provided they have a well-planted tank.)

All kinds of fish are sold very, very young. When I ordered Pea Puffers last fall, one of them was so small, I checked to see if he was still carrying his yolk sack. Commercial breeding practices are pretty terrible for every pet in the trade. At this point, I'd just like stores to put a little money into their bettas, keep them clean, well fed, and medicate those that need it, for as long as they're in the store.

IMG_20200306_185936012.jpg

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Jenay said:
My son just got me a PetSmart betta last week, (a surprise since I was still a little sad after my old guy died) and he is probably only 5-6 weeks old. I didn't know anyone sold males this young/tiny.

He is doing really well, and is already eating from my fingertip, but he can barely fit the 1mm size foods in his mouth. I'll probably hatch some brine shrimp for him in a few days, just to give him good fuel for growth.

Since I've been thinking about creating a betta sorority tank, I've thought it's good that the females are so young. (Theorizing that growing up together gives a better chance of long term peace, provided they have a well-planted tank.)

All kinds of fish are sold very, very young. When I ordered Pea Puffers last fall, one of them was so small, I checked to see if he was still carrying his yolk sack. Commercial breeding practices are pretty terrible for every pet in the trade. At this point, I'd just like stores to put a little money into their bettas, keep them clean, well fed, and medicate those that need it, for as long as they're in the store.

IMG_20200306_185936012.jpg
Nooo, that fish is at least 3 months old. It's hard to judge the size but it is too developed to be under 2 months of age. If you meant the fish in that picture, I'm assuming.

It's not untrue though. Especially species that get pretty large but that are only popular when they are small tend to be sold at a really young age.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Agreed, he's cute but not too tiny. Like PascalKrypt said, he looks a bit older than 5-6 weeks. I'd say 3-4 months. He still looks adorable though.

New Threads