Fruits and veggies for fish? Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Makena95'GT, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Makena95'GT

Makena95'GT Well Known Member Member

Of course I've heard of cucumber and zucchinni. But what about apples, lettuce, canned corn, or other canned greenery? Baby spinach leaves?
    (I'm basically just listing off everything at my house lol)
    I know nobody will eat these things, so I'm hoping my fishies will.

Plecos
    Guppies
    Cichlids
    Betta

I've also heard potatoes?
    So basically list off anything I can use!? :D

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I haven't tried corn, green beans, peas, or canned spinach... but i am sure you should try it out and let us know ;) I am sure the pleco(s) will love it!

3. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Try the green beans, my shrimp love them and so do my rams horn snails

4. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I have put both apples and green peppers in my tank for my BN. I don't think she liked them very much, or at least, not as much as zucchini and cucumber. But, this just means they are safe and you should definitely try it! Though, I've found these things can't be left in the tank as long as, say, zucchini before it starts to get mushy and weird looking. But again, that's just my experience :)

5. chrisb01

chrisb01 Well Known Member Member

I feed all my fish green peas. That's how I feed them garlic and paprika. I mix minced garlic and garlic oil, sprinkle in some paprika with green peas and feed them, all my fish go for them rather quickly.

I do this two or three times weekly. And of course, my BNs will not forgive me if I go more than three or four days without feeding them zucchini.

6. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Do not feed corn. It is hard for fish to digest. Not healthy for them at all. I go out of my way to avoid food that has corn in it. It's even illegal to use corn as bait in many parts of the US.

7. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

My cichlids like green beans. And I fed them potatoes and they seemed to like that too. Just cook it first otherwise its too hard for them. They've eaten apples for me too but didn't seem to like them as much. I've heard not to give them too much fruit because of all the sugar. Veggies are better. They went crazy for a peice of banana but it fouls the water fast so put lil bite sized peices in and watch them eat. If they don't take it out or it'll turn your water yellow fast

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice