fruit tetras!!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by PuffPuff, Aug 13, 2015.

1. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

was at walmart and saw fruit tetras!!! I said how can it be!? no way. they must of been dyed. animal cruelty

2. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Never heard of them.

3. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

4. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

they also had fiddler crabs. thought was neat. but idk if I would buy any animal from walmart

5. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

6. DadioWell Known MemberMember

This should be banned everywhere. Totally wrong on all levels. Tank keeping for me is about giving safe haven to a natural entity created by nature. Anything else is simply feeding the machine and taking your money to fulfill a trendy and shady practice.

Using science to protect and increase the wealth of nature is one thing, using franken science to modify, alter or create new species may have a place in the lab, but no where near me, my family or that of our clients, friends and yes, even those we don't know.

7. Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

I mean seriously, if this isn't animal cruelty what is? White skirt Tetris are WAY prettier then the dyed guys, it should really be illegal. :(

8. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I do agree that the dyeing and selling of dyed fish should be outlawed, after all, you wouldn't have your dog or cat dyed to be a different color, would you? It's different when we tattoo ourselves, that's our own choice, but dyeing an animal that doesn't wish to have anything to do with it so that companies can make an extra buck is just sad. I do support and love glofish, but those aren't dyed. P.S. Sorry if I misspelled "dyeing" but the computer didn't mark it as wrong.

9. DadioWell Known MemberMember

Issue I have is first off glofish don't come from a natural world and are not a natural entity that our earth gave life too. Buying such fish or anything as this only supports the greed behind. Where does it end?

I have no quarrels with the true side on science, but we are not gods and no one with 100% certainty can or will come forward that proves this will not have negative affects years down the road other than the shills and trolls. Short term studies are worthless where history has shown and proven this. True studies take years and years before we can come forward and then, just then say it maybe safe.

The other issue is what happens when peeps dump them into lakes and streams? Sure many here will not do so, but that's roughly 60% of those who take tank keeping serious, the rest tire with it and either dump it or worse yet, them them suffer.

Are we to forget about lighting and wait for science to make a fish that requires no light? If so, then I for one will opt out and stick to swatting flies.

Bottom-line, it's always in the hands of the consumer to choose with both awareness and responsibility.

10. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Actually, I've seen dyed poodles. Disgusting, but some people just have to have a poodle. The dyeing is ugly, too.:;dogrun

All this actually started with painting Glassfish. Then they painted Albino Rainbow Sharks. Then they started doing full dye jobs. Next came "tattooed" fish, with patterns on them. Then there was cutting off the tail and part of the caudal peduncle to make "Valentine" fish. And I've left out the deformation of fish to make various "Balloon" strains.

When a local store first started selling painted Glassfish, I tried to organize a boycott at the local Aquarium Society. I was flabbergasted by the lack of response. I did make a point of talking to people at various stores; some claimed that they didn't know the fish was painted!

I was led to believe that these things were illegal in Britain, is that true hampalong?

11. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Truth of the matter is, even if it wasn't a glofish being dumped into a nearby lake or pond, any other fish could contaminate the native fish population.

I don't mind glofish or hybrid fish, honestly. Even though glofish aren't "natural looking" at least I can rest assured that they weren't hurt in the making of their ever-beautiful glowing colors.

But also, if we're going "all natural", quoting you, "where does it end"? Taking dogs as an example, some dogs have a harder time getting around because of their "enhanced" features. For example, the bulldog. Because of their noses being wrinkled up and "smushed in", they often have a harder time tolerating heat, which would make exercise in the hot summer much more difficult for these guys. And yet, they have been bred and loved for their noses, despite some of the issues it brought along. If we wanted "all natural dogs", we'd all have wolves as pets!

I meant no disrespect whatsoever by this comment. If you prefer to keep your tank filled with fish other than what I like in my tank, that's completely fine by me! :)

12. DadioWell Known MemberMember

As I stated, it's always a choice in the hands of the consumer. Same goes for dogs and I for one will not invest into a problem or the need for dog insurance to cover the med costs later down the line. If consumers want to buy such things, then the only thing I can say is this;

As a human I have the responsibility of choice, to support that which supports life, to share the wisdom of other generations and to ensure that tomorrow is still a place we can all call home. As such a human, it is also in part of my responsibility to stand up and say no to that which is ethically and morally wrong. I as such a human take pride in knowing that when I leave this home, my footprint will be one of goodness to the best of my capacity in both acts and memories. Nuff said!

13. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

I am pretty sure that these are completely illegal in Australia as I have never seen them.

14. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Yes wrong on so many levels. The problem is, people buy them, the stores sell them and no one is told the real story. They see it as "oh look how pretty"
    There needs to be more awareness on this but really, it almost goes in line with the stores selling little betta bowls. People BUY them. :mad: and even years of this practice, I doubt people will stop until its passed in to legislation and becomes illegal.

15. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Sadly not. I believe it's illegal to dye them in this country, but not to sell them. Thankfully Brits tend not to approve, so they're not seen that often.

16. DadioWell Known MemberMember

Still wrong on all levels. Humans just don't get it most of the time. We eat , buy and complain in the end. Maybe we should step back, just one step, breathe, think, then act.

You know something, I'm quite fortunate to have the relationship I have with my fish, cats, birds and most of all, nature. I also see it from a whole other level then most because of working with the world of naturals today. My interaction with koi to people that have seen this blows their minds, the main point in this comment is simple, it's called respect. One word, a word that carries into the integrity of my person towards every aspect of my life and the lives around me.

People buy animals for show, or acts of aggression or the "just look at me attitude". An animal is a free being first and we if we take them into our homes, we should respect their essence and needs of life, not just show and tell.

Many breeds of dogs are not what their true linage is to be and today we see the aftermath in the kennels, the streets and other. To support cruelty on any level for me simply makes that person in my eyes lower than the animal before them.

Let's flip it around;, cut & your ears back, reshape your eye lines, inject that colour, genetic enhancer or...oh, I forgot....humans already do it to themselves so I guess it's alright to do it to those that can't stand up to us...hmmm

17. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

You're right Dadio. We (humans) do things because we can, without regard to the things (or people) we do it to. We believe, with no logical framework, that we are "more" than other life, whereas in truth, animals are far more "connected" than most of us will ever be. They could be our greatest teachers, but we're too preoccupied with trivia to even notice we're getting it horribly wrong.

18. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Off topic posts have been deleted, please stay on topic

19. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

What some folks don't know about GloFish is that the original genetic work was done to create an easy way to detect water pollution for places where availability to clean water is an issue and laboratory testing is cost prohibitive. Once the fluorescence gene was transferred into the zebra danio they could be easily bred and made available to be used like a 'canary in a coal mine' -type indicator. IMO using science for the right reasons similar to adding carotene-producing proteins into rice plants to fortify the diets of the majority of the planet that subsists on rice. Zebra danios are also one of the most important model organisms in genetics, respect!

Now colored or tattooed fish, nope, I'm not on board with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. DadioWell Known MemberMember

Again, science for profit with no long-term study towards consumerism within peoples or possible mutated sources further down the line. Long-term is not 1 yr, 5 yr studies or company peer studies. History has shown and is showing even more that what was said safe years ago is and the results to the animals, lands, waters and people are right in our face.

With such modifications are happening to foods it is also showing that the promises made are falling through and other implications affecting climate and health. Just like the so-called golden rice promises which today show otherwise while many are showing that respectful farming produces healthier and cleaner food-stuffs without destroying or rendering the land dead.

While some such modifications such as cross-gene within plants to create hybrids is one thing, but anything chemically induced is another thing.

Am I for science, you bet as we ourselves are involved with it everyday, but I am not for anything that is or can be harmful short-term or long-term whether it be within a current generation or generations to come through bio-accumulation. We see the fallout of theses foods, products and environmental everyday upon the health of clients. Am I outspoken on this, you bet I am.

Today, our children are being born with the results of our greed and irresponsible profit driven sciences, skin disorders are on the rise, cancer is on the rise and the amount of digestive disorders is getting ridiculous. As with everything, It's always a choice, but does our freedom of choice still exist?

Someone once said, "He who controls the food controls the people; who controls the energy can control whole continents; who controls money can control the world.”..hmmm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice