Frozen Peas? Question

1. MNfishMama Initiate Member

I've seen a few people talk about feeding their fish frozen peas once a week for treats.

How is this beneficial to the fish?

Which breeds of fish do you give them to?

How should someone prepare the peas before feeding them to the fish?

Thanks!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Mn. Peas act as a laxative for your fish. High in protein. All you have to do is warm the frozen peas so they are thawed. Slice them in half and remove the skin. Then you can slice them into any size you want. You can feed them to any fish that will eat them. Too, it may take a couple of tries before they realize that it's food.
    Ken

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

To prepare, let it thaw, take off the skin/shell, chop it in quarters or eighths, then add to water.

All fishies seem to love peas. It's great for keeping the regular (ie. pooping), which is vital because fish can develop bloat and swim bladder disease if they're not "regular." :)

:;tmnt ken

4. Lexar169 Member Member

im still trying to get them to eat peas. Betta likes or hoard them.

5. MNfishMama Initiate Member

Thanks for the quick replies! How many should I give them? One per fish or? Should this in place of a meal? How often should I give them peas?

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I give mine in place of a meal. With your size fishies, I'd do about 1 pea (chopped up) for every 3-4 fishies. :)

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. I feed my fish peas once a week.
    Ken
    :animal0068:I have moved your thread to the "fish food" section of the forum.
    thanks!
    Ken