Frozen Peas

Worryrock2007
I have read on here a bunch of times that it`s good to feed them frozen peas one day a week. So, I tried it, but my fish would not eat them. Any ideas of how to get him to eat his veggies?

sirdarksol
Here are the steps, in no particular order. Only the final one needs to be chronological.

Peel the pea.

Break the pea into little chunks (bite-sized for a betta).

Thaw the pea.

Feed the pea to the betta (actually, I would only feed it part, and do a little bit at a time, since the pea will probably sink, and you don't want it gunking up the gravel).

ricktavious
The piece of pea that you should feed would be the size of your betta's eye. I usually put the pea piece I'm going to feed on the end of a finger, have them chase my finger a bit, and then dip my finger in the water causing the pea piece to come off.

lilswimmer
My Betta wouldn't eat peas at first either. I just kept dropping it into the tank (and fishing it out if he didn't eat it) every week until he decided it was food.

COBettaCouple
we had a betta that wouldn't eat the frozen peas at first, but we fed him pieces of canned peas (no salt or sugar) for a little bit and then tried the frozen ones and he loved them.. he was a character.

chickadee
I will say that if you find a betta that will NOT eat a pea of any kind that there is a fishfood that will replace the pea treats but is not nearly so much fun to feed them. It is: FREEZE-DRIED Daphnia.

I only use the HikarI brand as I know my fish will eat it. It also makes a great food for when they are being medicated or when they are sick. It is impossible to overfeed it and they can have as much as they want without worrying about giving your fish too much. It is a natural laxative for your fish as well as being a source of protein.

The pea treats are always nice though because it does give you some nice quality time with your baby and lets them know that you love them. If they will eat the peas it is still the best bet for them.

Rose

pamd
I've tried peas with Sparkles a few times in the past but he always rejected them. I decided to try a little harder yesterday and today because he's been on medications. He took a piece from my fingers yesterday and spit it out surprisingly forcefully. Eeewww! Yuccck! Blectch!

He has a small hamster igloo in the tank and the piece fell on top of it. Was he suspicious! He kept going up to the offending foreign object on the "roof," staring at it with his angriest glare, then swimming inside the igloo and looking around suspiciously. "Did *that thing* get into my most private space, too?"

Today I decided to try three pieces with some round-edged tweezers. Each time, he eyed the offensive green stuff, then grabbed it from the tweezers, shook it rather violently, spit it out, followed it to the bottom of the tank, and gave it another good shake, seemingly just to make sure it was "dead."

Any advice on how to get him to accept peas would be appreciated, but I'm mainly just sharing what I think is another endearing betta story.

Barbrella
Mine wouldn't eat peas at first and seemed highly offended that I had the nerve to offer them.

So, I waited until one morning near noon, when I knew they were hungry after fasting all night and morning. I cooked the peas for about 10 sec. in the microwave, cooled and peeled them and dropped a betta-eyeball sized piece in. They ate them like they had never wanted anything else.

Now they eat their once-a-week peas eagerly.

COBettaCouple
Sparkles is a character and sounds just like our 1st Betta, Super Mario. He refused to eat the thawed frozen pea pieces so we got some canned peas with just peas & water, no salt or sugar and when we peeled one and gave him a tiny piece, he loved it. After doing that a few times, he started accepting, then loving, his thawed frozen peas.

pamd
Mine wouldn't eat peas at first and seemed highly offended that I had the nerve to offer them.

So, I waited until one morning near noon, when I knew they were hungry after fasting all night and morning. I cooked the peas for about 10 sec. in the microwave, cooled and peeled them and dropped a betta-eyeball sized piece in. They ate them like they had never wanted anything else.

Now they eat their once-a-week peas eagerly.

Barbrella, your "recipe" worked but I can't believe he ate the whole thing! As violently against peas as he was yesterday, I would have been surprised if he had slightly nibbled after attacking the "intruder." For another introduction, I cooked the pea, put about half of the inside of it on tweezers (to better hold it and in anticipation of getting it out of the tank). He grabbed it, broke it in half, chewed and swallowed it, then grabbed the other chunk and ate it, too -- before I could get it out! This was about half a pea! Can his little tummy digest all that? You said a betta-eyeball-sized chunk and that's what I should have done. I just had no idea he'd go for it like that.
Sparkles is a character and sounds just like our 1st Betta, Super Mario. He refused to eat the thawed frozen pea pieces so we got some canned peas with just peas & water, no salt or sugar and when we peeled one and gave him a tiny piece, he loved it. After doing that a few times, he started accepting, then loving, his thawed frozen peas.
Dave, I guess this goes to show some of them like their peas 'cooked' thank you, upon introduction before accepting them raw.

To all, be careful when you're the chef. Bettas might like your offerings more than you anticipate. Hmmmm ... kind of reminds me of yesterday. Hope all who celebrate Thanksgiving had a happy -- and not too piggly -- one!

Barbrella
Whoa! That's a lot for him to eat! Try fasting him tomorrow and keep an eye on him for any odd behavior or bloating. Hopefully, everything will pass through fine!

COBettaCouple
when we first started feeding our Bettas peas, we didn't know better and fed them each 1/2 a pea. They had VERY full tummies but were fine. They digest the pea really well and like Barbrella said, just fast him for a day or 2, until he looks back to normal, then you could resume his normal feeding pattern.

Ianthe
lol, these stories are too cute. I'd never think of rodent igloos for a fish, that's a cool idea.

My Penny ate his first pea bit like he'd always been eating them, no hesitation. I take out a frozen pea and just let it sit for maybe half an hour, then take the shell off, and cut off a couple tiny pieces for him, and do the finger-in-water drop move.

MNfishMama
I've seen a few people talk about feeding their fish frozen peas once a week for treats.

How is this beneficial to the fish?

Which breeds of fish do you give them to?

How should someone prepare the peas before feeding them to the fish?

Thanks!

Aquarist
Hello Mn. Peas act as a laxative for your fish. High in protein. All you have to do is warm the frozen peas so they are thawed. Slice them in half and remove the skin. Then you can slice them into any size you want. You can feed them to any fish that will eat them. Too, it may take a couple of tries before they realize that it's food.
Ken

iloveengl
To prepare, let it thaw, take off the skin/shell, chop it in quarters or eighths, then add to water.

All fishies seem to love peas. It's great for keeping the regular (ie. pooping), which is vital because fish can develop bloat and swim bladder disease if they're not "regular."

ken

Lexar169
I'm still trying to get them to eat peas. Betta likes or hoard them.

MNfishMama
Thanks for the quick replies! How many should I give them? One per fish or? Should this in place of a meal? How often should I give them peas?

iloveengl
I give mine in place of a meal. With your size fishies, I'd do about 1 pea (chopped up) for every 3-4 fishies.

Aquarist
Hello. I feed my fish peas once a week.
Ken
I have moved your thread to the "fish food" section of the forum.
thanks!
Ken

BillynJennifer
We always have frozen peas in the freezer, so I am going to pop a few out of their skin and drop them into my shrimp tank. If the shrimp don't eat them, I know the Mystery snails will.

Anyone tried peas with their shrimp?

Platylover
Yeah, my ammanos kind of fight for them...

BillynJennifer
Yeah, my ammanos kind of fight for them...
I'm guessing cherries would probably do the same. I'm going to try it and see.

FishRFriendz
Place yer bets everybody!

I got my money on lackluster enthusiasm from RCS. The snails will love it tho

BillynJennifer
You hit the nail on the head. The shrimp weren't interested at all, but my two snails were head butting each other to get to them.

FishRFriendz
Yeah, as expected. I've heard ppl sayin RCS love algae wafers and what not, but I start to wonder what's on the ingredients list of the wafers they're using when I hear that, cuz as far as I can tell RCS like meat and some wafers have a good amount of fish meal in them. Even Cory from Aquarium Coop has a theory that neocaridina only eat algae when they're young or when they're absolutely desperate for food, and young neos get desperate much faster since they're going through a pretty fast growth phase and need the food.

I've wasted good money on expensive shrimp food that was heavy in algae, just to watch the food disintegrat and pollute my water and give the snails fodder for a population explosion. The funny thing is that all those high end specialty foods have pics of crystal red shrimp on em... I think caridina like veggies, like those caridina multidentate (amano shrimp) and crystal shrimp.

Cake
I have guppies and endlers with my shrimp. The fish go bonkers crazy for peas and algae wafers, the shrimp show no interest. The shrimp do go for NLS sinking and flake food. I have not tried food marketed for shrimp.

FishRFriendz
Even when my shrimp were young and I saw them eating the high algae food, I saw them picking through it more and there was a lot of debris like they were spitting out the bits they don't want and just taking the shrimp meal and fish meal portions in it. I get a lot less waste with HikarI crab cuisine.

I'm hoping tiger shrimp (caridina cantonensis) will eat algae. They'll take the same water params as neocaridina and are just as hardy as neos so they should work out well in my water.

Jocelyn Adelman
My shrimp love fresh veggies, zucchinI tops the list

FishRFriendz
I found a food that fills em up so much that they don't even come for HikarI Crab Cuisine anymore. Bacter AE. I seed the tank Friday and let em fast for 2 day weekend, I come back Monday and they're still full and generally uninterested in anything I feed. I thought the stuff was gonna be snake oil, especially since you can't put it in the tank and see the shrimp drawn to it but the shrimp don't lie, they're not hungry on Monday. Also... the snail population exploded with the Bacter AE too . Time to adjust dosing.

TexasDomer
I feed my shrimp snail jello made with veggie baby food and crushed shrimp pellets. They seem to love it! They're all over it as soon as I drop it in.

KIMIPELI
I am praying I haven't killed my Parrot Fish already (see my other post), but assuming I have not and they start eating, can someone confirm or deny the articles I have read that we should give them the inner pea once a week to try to avoid Swim Bladder? Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you!

Cru
Peas are very good for their health and is very good to treat for swim bladder.

FinalFins
it is a blood parrot correct?

I'm not 100% in a parrot diet but peas are meant for vegitarian fish like goldies and plecos.

KIMIPELI
Thank you!! I really appreciate your answer - is it once a week, as I read? {Do I need to put Cru or anything for you to see this)?
it is a blood parrot correct?

I'm not 100% in a parrot diet but peas are meant for vegitarian fish like goldies and plecos.

Yep, Blood Parrots - they like (supposedly) blood worms, so not completely vegetarian. Maybe they are both ha??? Thanks, for replying!

FinalFins
Ok, so some quick googleing says they are omnivorous so I wouldn't give the pea I would do some staple foods and supplemental spirulina algae flakes or food.

Ssnaaiil
I give my fish deshelled microwaved frozen peas once or twice a week to help with digestion and swim bladder

KIMIPELI
Ok, so some quick googleing says they are omnivorous so I wouldn't give the pea I would do some staple foods and supplemental spirulina algae flakes or food.

Thank you, I will look further into that!!!

I give my fish deshelled microwaved frozen peas once or twice a week to help with digestion and swim bladder

Thanks for the response. Which kind of fish do you have?

Ssnaaiil
Thanks for the response. Which kind of fish do you have?
I have goldfish and bettas

KIMIPELI
Very cool. Thanks, just was curious.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
grac3
Replies
Views
luckdown
Replies
Views