Frozen Food Cubes Question

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hi.
    For my Bolivian Ram's the LFS recommended frozen foods only. However, I hear you can get them onto flake too. I purchased Daphnia, Bloodworm, and Cyclops. Don't have a clue what they are (except bloodworm haha). Anyway Do I just drop the frozen cube into the tank? It makes a big mess and bits were flying everywhere! How am I supposed to do it cleanly?

Any Tips? lol
    Cheers

2. kacie Member Member

Take some tank water in a small cup, put some of the cube into water, when it defrosts put into water. You can also feed Hakari Gold sinking pellets.

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Like Kacie said, defrost the cube in a cup with some tank water first. I don't know how big your cubes are but a full cube might be too much for your fish stock. If it is & they don't eat it all fast enough, just feed them half of what you defrost. Put the cup with the remaining food in a plastic bag & put it in the frige until thier next feed. My Bolivians have always eaten what I give them, flake food, pellets, they go for it all. I know several people who NEVER feed frozen foods to thier Bolivians. HBH Flake Frenzy & Spectrum 1mm Pellets are accepted with delight.

4. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks graeme. The pet store told me there is no way i'd get them on flake. We will see about that.. haha. But I hear frozen cubes are a nice addition to the nutrition and help bring out colours?

5. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Your fish will love most frozen foods & yes it is good for thier colors. All my fish get 2 feeds of frozen stuff every week. Obviously more for the carnivours which get live food as well & none for my vegans. I use frozen daphnia, brine shrimp & bloodworms as well as live brineshrimp, blackworms, glass shrimp & guppies. The guppies are for the serious carnivours.

6. kacie Member Member

Side question for Nutter, do your Sajica's have white lips?

7. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have 2 bolivian rams and I have never given them frozen food. I give them omega one flakes, tetra algae veggie crisps, freeze dried blood worms and baby shrimp. They also eat the algae wafers that I feed the snails and ottos. They even come up to the top to eat since I added the angel and dg. Before adding those others, they always ate at the bottom or middle. Good Luck

8. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

No Kacie, my Sajicas have never had white lips. Here's an old pic of the yellow. Still looks the same just bigger with better colors. Sorry my camera is on the fritz so I can't get a current pic of them.

Attached Files:

• Frozen Food Cubes
      019.JPG
      File size:
      221.1 KB
      Views:
  9. kacie Member Member

Thanks Nutter. A real beauty!

10. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Nice Sajica Nutter!

Kacie they normally won't but if yours are getting ready to spawn there is a very good chance they have been pulling on eachothers lips and it will tear the skin up a bit.