frozen flake foods Help

1. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

the LFS by me sells fish food(no brainer there) but they sell dif sizes and if i buy the biggest size im saving some cash, as i know i wouldn't use the whole thing too fast it would go bad, so my question is can i use some and keep the rest in the freezer, or will the freezer make it loose it's nutrients as well.

Thanks again for all the help.

2. kribensis keeper Member Member

yes it may loose its nurtients and may also make the flakes hard and ice may start to grow on them and when you take it out of the freezer the ice may melt and make your flakes soggy also of it does freeze you will have to wait everytime when you feed your fish to defrost it

3. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

oky dokey

4. Toddnbecka Member Member

I buy flakes by the pound (and NLS pellets in 5 lb buckets), refill smaller cans for use, and store the main supply in the freezer. Flakes don't have enough moisture in them to form ice crystals if frozen long-term, and it preserves the nutritional value the same as freezing any other food. The NLS buckets last quite a while, but I buy flakes 2-3 times each year.

5. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

hummm... so as long as its in an air tight seal i should have no problems with moisture?

6. Elodea Well Known Member Member

As long as it is airtight, it'll be fine (I think!). If you get some moisture in it, then...However, ice crystals only form if water or water vapour is present, so if you keep it dry, they won't form.

7. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

alright.. il test with some old food, thanks.