Frozen Bloodworms?

1. Coleslaw

Coleslaw Valued Member Member

I'm going away for a little while and my dad is taking care of my puffer fish. He would prefer not to defrost bloodworms I was thinking that I could defrost a bunch and leave them in a cup then using a syringe suck them out and squirt them into a tank. Do the bloodworms go bad? Any other options.

2. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I never defrost blood-worms when I feed them to my discus... just throw in the cube from the freezer. Is there a reason to do so that I haven't heard of? They wouldn't swell in the stomach like a pelleted food would.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah they do go bad pretty quickly after being defrosted

4. Simply Fish

Simply Fish Valued Member Member

Yes, if you leave bloodworms defrosted they will go bad/rot:yuck:. Hmmm... that's hard. If it is possible for him to defrost them, that would definitely be ideal. Otherwise, Discusluv is right. Just have him pop in the cube, and it will defrost on its own.

5. D

But, why is that ideal?:

6. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on fish size to me, i don't throw them to my oscar whole anymore as a whole ice cube must not be good for his throat, i was mortified the first time he swallowed one whole i thought it was going to hurt him. I don't mind with my smaller fish its fun to watch them attacking the cube. Just my thoughts though.

7. D

Oh, okay that makes sense. But, how many fish can eat a whole cube in one bite! :)

8. grantm91

I know but some puffers get huge and could get brain freeze Lol, but on a serious note it wasn't nice to see this it was not natural.

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't leave frozen bloodworms out that long. How long are you going away for? Is this a pea puffer and if you only have one, I'd think one whole cube is too much.

10. D

He can always cut it in half or quarters, put in zip-lock bag, and put back into the freezer.

11. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

I don't know on any fish who can swallow it whole, but I know of a frog. Ha ha

12. grantm91

Thats the solution here its what i would do with my reef if i went away and left some body in charge, even put the pieces in a pill box so theres no room for error.