Frontosas, Taratolopia Combo

mgarza

Reaction score
So I'm addong a new tank to seperase my poorly currently poorly 60 gallon. My question is, 1) can I put 2 frontosas together or shouldI put in seperate tanks? 2)Can I put 2 parataltara in the same tank? I also have a albino rainbow shark who was extremely passive, but yesterday he started chasing my blood parrots like crazy, will this stop, they're supposed to be very docile?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rainbow sharks are not docile but rather territorial. If he keeps being a jerk then remove/rehome him.

As for the frontosa, I wouldn't put one in anything less than a 75gal tank. These guys get very large and need their space. You should be alright keeping them together so long as they are of opposite genders or both females. Having two males in a smaller tank will end in trouble as the fish reach breeding age.

I'm assuming you mean tilapia of some sort and if it is the species I'm thinking of they need a larger tank as well. Need a bit more info on which species though.

mgarza

Reaction score
Demeter said:
Rainbow sharks are not docile but rather territorial. If he keeps being a jerk then remove/rehome him.

As for the frontosa, I wouldn't put one in anything less than a 75gal tank. These guys get very large and need their space. You should be alright keeping them together so long as they are of opposite genders or both females. Having two males in a smaller tank will end in trouble as the fish reach breeding age.

I'm assuming you mean tilapia of some sort and if it is the species I'm thinking of they need a larger tank as well. Need a bit more info on which species though.
The frontosas are about 4 inches long. What are the characteristics between male and female? When do they become of breeding age. They are lip locking right now, I'm putting a rock in now to break up they're line of site.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ahh ok, a quick search says that species can reach a good 10in as adults, so again I'd not keep it in anything less than a 75gal. Bigger is better, if you had a 100gal tank I'd say you would be able to keep the tilapia and frontosa together.

Here's a link on frontosa care. Some good info here but I suspect they won't be of breeding age till at least 6-7in. Yours are just teenagers at this point.

I suggest you do some more researching on the species you are keeping at the moment. You can learn more about their needs, far more than you can from me and the others.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Madagascar Cichlids and Frontosa would not do well together, the Paratilapia tend to be aggressive toward other Cichlids. I think a 75 would work just fine for two of the Madagascar species, but Fronts really need a huge amount of space, and they can get very large.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom