Frontosa Info Please

1. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Hey guys I want to get some Frontosa. Please overwhelm me with information about them!

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

There is not much that I can say that you cannot find ont he internet, but the Cyphotilapia frontosa or Frontosa is a veru popular fish and there are several naturally occurring colors that are frequently available. Due to its sizethe frontosa needs a very large aquarium, however, it behaves relatively calmly and is tolerant of both conspecifics and heterospecifics.. To house a single frontosa juvenille you need at least a 55 gallon tank. Frontosa do not like being alone. A single frontosa needs a cave to live in; this is to make sure the frontosa feels safe. If a cave is not there to make it feel safe it will begin to attack the other fish in the tank. This is especially true with male frontosa. Female frontosa are more likely to be satisfied with ground territory. They are best kept with other cichlids or semi-aggressive fish. Frontosa are best kept in at least 150 gallon tanks. A 150 gallon tank can house 6-8 frontosa. They are from Lake Tanganyika and live in the depths and rarely come to shore. The only surface to feed in the morning and evening. The PH should be between 7.8 to 9.0 and the temperature of the water should be between 79-82 F (like the lake)/ The addition of rocks, or other things such as pipes, allow the fish to hide and reduce stress. its diet in aquaria should consist of good quality prepared foods, frozen foods like krill and earthworms occasionally. When spooked, frontosa have been known to break thermometers, filters, and even crack tanks. Frontosa do not grow to the size of the tank, they will grow to about 10-14 inches. That is a big fish for an aquarium. I hope that helps a little bit.:;cr

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

They make a great fish for heated ponds. I have plans to put many of them in a pond one day!