5 Gallon Tank Front fins are uneven

huv

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Experience
3 years
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
Yes
Aquarium Size
5 gallons
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
I just got a new betta fish yesterday and realized his front fins are uneven. One seems even damaged. But the rest of his body and tail seem alright. What could be the reason for this ? image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 7
Solution
Since you said it seems damaged I would say it is probably fin biting. The bettas get super stressed at the store and some end up biting and ripping their own fins because of it. It is more common with longer finned bettas too. He’s beautiful. Your tank looks at least 5 gallons I would guess since I can’t see the whole thing. That should help and along with better water parameters he should become less stressed and calm down in the next few days. Just watch the parameters and keep an eye out for more biting. I think this issue will resolve itself over time, and the fins should grow back.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
teacher
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
80l
Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
1,0 Apistogramma hongsloi
15x Nannostomus eques
Aquarium Start Date
September 2019
Aquarium Filter Type
internal filter (biological and mechanical)
If it's not fin-rot (doesn't look like it), very sure a genetic defect. Nothing unusual with domestic strains of fish.

Sofiafish17

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Occupation
High school student
Quarantine?
No, I got this tank before I knew enough. I’ve quarantined a sick fish.
List any water conditioners and test kits used:
Seachem Prime, API Freshwater Master test kit
Experience
2 years
Yes
Aquarium Size
10 gallons
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
Female Betta fish, blushing tetras, brass tetras, oto cats, Java fern, Anubias Frazeri, and some Marimo moss balls
Aquarium Start Date
June 2020
Ammonia
0.0 ppm
Nitrite
0 ppm
Nitrate
2.0 ppm
Temperature
80 degrees Fahrenheit
pH
Lighting
LED’s that came with the tank (low light plants)
Aquarium Filter Type
Came with a Petsmart starter kit, discontinued and can’t identify it, works really well no problem
Since you said it seems damaged I would say it is probably fin biting. The bettas get super stressed at the store and some end up biting and ripping their own fins because of it. It is more common with longer finned bettas too. He’s beautiful. Your tank looks at least 5 gallons I would guess since I can’t see the whole thing. That should help and along with better water parameters he should become less stressed and calm down in the next few days. Just watch the parameters and keep an eye out for more biting. I think this issue will resolve itself over time, and the fins should grow back.

Solution

Latest threads

Top Bottom