From fresh to salt. Our first saltwater tank.

lllesley

HI, I kept freshwater fish for approx 18 months and then got the saltwater itch. We purchased our tank in April 2013 and have loved it ever since. We are broke and addicted.
We learnt from freshwater (after upgrading 3 times in size) that get the size you want in the beginning, saves a lot of money that way.
So we went for a 260 gallon display & 60 gallon sump.
We always wanted corals, so decided right from the beginning that it was eventually going to be a reef tank.
Specs.

Tank size 1900 x 650 x 700
Full length overflow with bean animal silent setup 3 down and returns left and right

• Sump 120 x 50 x 50 split into 4
    Skimmer/DSB/Liverock/Return

ATI 8x80w T5 Auto/programmable

skimmer - Deltec TC2060

Flow - 2 x Tunze 6105's
    2 x Tunze 6055
    Tunze controller 7096

Auto Top up Tunze Ozmo

4 stage RODI unit with TDS meter

Phosban reactor

Carborn reactor

Have so much more to learn, love these types of places as you can ask more experienced reefers for help and get the right advice. I have never trusted our local LFS as much as people who actually own their own.
    Thanks for looking.
    Lesley & Steve
    photo (20).jpg

Fishy Friends

HI and welcome! You have an incredibly beautiful tank!

lllesley

HI and welcome! You have an incredibly beautiful tank!
Well thank you very much, Sometimes it has been overwhelming, there is so much to learn and still so much to keep learning, We love it a lot.

ryanr

Hi, welcome to Fishlore
That's some quality equipment - well done on not skimping with the equipment.

Looks like a starfire front panel?

Great looking tank! 12 months on, you've done a great job. The 'scape is fantastic, I really like what you've done.

What's the stocking? So far, I can see
- Coral Beauty
- Flame Angel
- Clown (Osc or Perc?)
- Pair of yellow tangs
- Pair of Pacific blue tangs
- Naso tang
- Copperband Butterfly (love these fish)
- One Spot(?) Foxface
- a clam
- turbo snail
What have I missed?

How does everyone get a long?

The corals look fantastic - your scollies look great as does the goni. Does that Elegance bother any of the surrounding corals?

Any aspirations to add SPS? A couple of branching acros and maybe some plates would really set it off

PS - where in Aus are you? MASA member?

lllesley

photo (12).JPG
Hi, welcome to Fishlore
That's some quality equipment - well done on not skimping with the equipment.

Looks like a starfire front panel?

Great looking tank! 12 months on, you've done a great job. The 'scape is fantastic, I really like what you've done.

What's the stocking? So far, I can see
- Coral Beauty
- Flame Angel
- Clown (Osc or Perc?)
- Pair of yellow tangs
- Pair of Pacific blue tangs
- Naso tang
- Copperband Butterfly (love these fish)
- One Spot(?) Foxface
- a clam
- turbo snail
What have I missed?

How does everyone get a long?

The corals look fantastic - your scollies look great as does the goni. Does that Elegance bother any of the surrounding corals?

Any aspirations to add SPS? A couple of branching acros and maybe some plates would really set it off

PS - where in Aus are you? MASA member?
Wow, thanks
the only stock you have missed is
1 x abolone
1 spiky urchin
Male & female green spotted dragonet
7 strom snails, couple of crabs (oh don't forget the bristle worms) lol
2 x wild caught osc clowns
Cleaner wrasse
I am not sure what a starfire front means. sorry.
We learnt with the fresh water we had for 18 months that quality is the key, and in the long run it saves you heaps of money, upgrading and spending all the time. So we thought we would do it right the first time.
Tank is 1000 liter DT & 220 liter sump.
I learnt in freshwater that the bigger the tank the more room you had for error, so we thought we would start off really big cause we would probably make heaps of mistakes.
All the fish get along really well. Although is wasn't like that at first place. When every we got an aggressive fish we would give it a week and if it didnt settle down, we would catch it and take it back for a credit on another one. As you probably know all fish are individuals some nicer than others. We went through 5 yellow tangs to get 2 that lived peacefully. We lost heaps of money but worth it in the end. I like a peaceful tank, I hate chasing and fighting.
I appreciate the comment on the corals, I research a lot and spend a lot of time caring for them. We actually don't have any scollies (unless you spotted that I don't know the name of), Unfortunatley I am in the habit of buying anything with color and asking what it is later. I actually don't know the names of a lot of the corals I have. If you can help that would be great. but my pride and joy are the red goni's and the red bubbles. We wanted to have a good mix of colors and I think we have achieved that.
I would eventually like to have sps but I have heard they are terribly hard to look after, so might get a bit better at this first then consider it.
I live in SA and I am not a member of MASA, I did go to the site and found it to be really confusing and a bit intimidating. So many lovely tanks and knowledgeable people but I didnt feel up to the grade.
May join later.
Thanks once again for the great comments and if your any good with corals let me know and perhaps you can give me some good advice. I have winged it so far. lol
Thanks

ryanr

Hi,
I'm the same with MASA, too intimidating. I'm a member, but only for the savings. $35 annual fee, and generally saves me 10-20% on stuff, so at the end of the year, I'm $100's up

Corals I can see: Some are my best guess, based on the detail I can see

EDIT:
BTW - try this link, They have some good info about corals.

Any good with corals? Depends what you mean. I've had good success with some, and others not so much.
Goni's have always been problem for me, they go great for a few months, then mysteriously die off. But apparently that's what they do (many similar reports around the web)

SPS - I've tried a few times, but my Coral Beauty devours them (yours may not - but angels are known to nip corals)

I run a 'low maintenance' system - I don't have time to get really into maintaining water quality, the way I would need to for more difficult corals.
For me, I focus on maintaining low nutrients (NO3/PO4) and weekly 10% water changes. My system is primarily 'easy' corals; I have Xenia growing like a weed , Bubble-tip Anemone, Zoanthids (actually, some zoa's would be good in your tank too), Mushrooms, Duncan, Brain, Turtleback, a small frag of montipora that's still doing well. Sun-coral, Blasto, Red Scolly, Palm Tree coral.

lllesley

I personally don't understand the problem with goni's. The large red one has been taken to the shed and fragged 3 times now and all are still thriving. We only just realized that your not supposed to take it out to the shed and put it in a vice. (hubbys idea). We won't be doing that again. lol
I also use nopox daily, but only do water changes every 6 weeks. The last water change was a bit different, we collected our own sea water (off jetty). Everything went really well and it was free !!
I have zoa's (right hand side of tank). they grow so quickly I use apstasia x on them every so often to kill them off !
I think the low maintenance thing is the way to go, I love working on the tank but not every weekend. I like also to sit with a glass of red and watch. I can't reach to the bottom of the tank so if hands need to go in that's the husbands job. lol
We had zenia, and yes like a weed, so just recently we removed the rock and removed the zenia and used a power wire brush to remove all the slime. We don't want that back again, it was moving everywhere.
My BTA's split a couple of weeks ago and wow, they are huge now. We are going to sell a couple as 6 is too many for my tank.
Thanks for the link to masa coral care, I will have a look when I get time lol
This forum doesn't seem to have a lot of things going on in the saltwater dept.?
Does it have many members here in aus ?

ryanr

Hi, the Saltwater forums can be a little slow at times. Granted, there's a few other forums around that are a lot busier, especially the hard-core reefing sites, but I think we have a healthy balance here.

We've got a few Aussie's around, some more regular than others.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
3 4 5 6
Replies
Views
Sprogladite
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies