From canister to a HOB

Karl

I used to run aquaclear 50's (two) on a 36 gallon tank for 3 years then decided to go with a canister filter. After some issues with my canister I've decided to go back to HOB's on this 36. Anyone else switch back? I got mine to reseal for now (with a new o-ring) but a wet floor makes the wife upset lol.

Asomeone

I've been running at least 3 aquaclears on 4 tanks for the past 5 years. Only issue i ever had was a burnout of the motor due to me allowing water to drop too far. The AC's are amazing filters...the ease of maintenance just blows away most canister filters. If ur AC is leaking id assume its leaking from the seal around the motor? Theres plenty of replacement motors with original seals. They arent expensive so I'd personally spend the money to obtain the factory seals if you're worried.

Karl

Asomeone said:
I've been running at least 3 aquaclears on 4 tanks for the past 5 years. Only issue i ever had was a burnout of the motor due to me allowing water to drop too far. The AC's are amazing filters...the ease of maintenance just blows away most canister filters. If ur AC is leaking id assume its leaking from the seal around the motor? Theres plenty of replacement motors with original seals. They arent expensive so I'd personally spend the money to obtain the factory seals if you're worried.
I'm sorry it's my canister that was leaking water, I'm switching back to a couple of aquaclear filters (all media is cycled). I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this for the same reason I am. I love the hobby, and trying different things is part of it. It's definitely fun

A201

Years ago I ran a big Marineland canister. It provided great filtration but was a major pain to clean. After a couple of years, went back to HOB's.
AC's, Marineland Emperors (modified) & Tidals are all quality HOB's.
IMO, Any tank 180 gal. & above needs canister filtration or an overflow system.

Natalie265

Yes! I used canisters for many years and loved how effective they were, but after a canister sprung a leak on my 55 gallon, I switched back to HOB. Luckily, when the leak happened, we had just installed a water sensor alarm under the tank, and luckily we were home when it happened. We still lost several gallons of water onto our wood floors, but it could have been much, much worse! How big of a disaster was your leak?

Karl

Natalie265 said:
Yes! I used canisters for many years and loved how effective they were, but after a canister sprung a leak on my 55 gallon, I switched back to HOB. Luckily, when the leak happened, we had just installed a water sensor alarm under the tank, and luckily we were home when it happened. We still lost several gallons of water onto our wood floors, but it could have been much, much worse! How big of a disaster was your leak?
I just caught mine last week as it was starting out of the main seal.....I took it off and put silicone on it....it helped but I'm just glad I was here. Thanks for the input.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom