From Aquascaping To Fish

1. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

So now that the 180 gallon is cycling with media from my other tanks-- on to considering fish.

The Geophagus ( appx. 6)
    The type I get depends on availability...
    Right now Rapps of Tangled Up in Cichlids has some contenders I am considering.

On the top on the list is an extremely rare wild geophagus called g.proximus.

The second choice would be g.sveni. It appears this variety is more readily available, but still rare.

Tetras (appx. 12) This fish gets just under 4 inches.
    I am considering going outside of the semi-biotope I was attempting to stay within and getting this rare beauty: phenacogrammus aurantiacus "Lamp-eye Congo Tetra."

Altum Angels ( 3-5?)

Not sure how many would fit in this size tank? @TexasDomer , maybe you can help me with that?

Any comments or suggestions?

2. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Administrator @Coradee : I tried to make these videos links, but didn't seems to work. I hope it is okay.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I had a friend with that species of Congos, and they never got near 4 inches. Stayed around 2". Beautiful fish though! Quite expensive, if I recall.

I might go with the smaller Geos just to save space.

Don't get 3 altums, but more should be okay. I would personally go with 6.

4. Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

ever consider red/orange head tapojos? They're much more colorful than the ones you have listed. Not try to be rude, just a suggestion. :)

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think DL is going for more rare fish :)

6. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Both of those geo species are very attractive! The first ones have very nice, subtle coloring, almost iridescent. The others have color, plus the “stringy fins” are different. (Sorry for the poor vocabulary )

7. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Its looks like the proximus stays around 7.5 in and the sveni are around 6-7 inches. The Red-heads get about the same--- so these varieties are all smaller.
    You are correct, the lampeyes stay from 2-2.5 inches! I dont know why I assumed they were larger. Thank you for clarifying that for me.
    Yes.

They are subtle-- but, that iridescence!

I will do six then!
    I am going to keep the species to three only. I like the look of just a few types in a tank.

8. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I have always thought altums were impressive fish. Wish I had appropriate water.

9. Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

ah alright! :)

10. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I am going to wait to add these.
    Actually, I plan to add the tetras first--- next week -10days.
    The Geo's in November.
    The Altums in December.

11. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

You know me...I like me to get some Geo's in the future...I can't wait to see how this all turns out!

12. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I look forward to the updates.

13. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Tank already cycled! :)
    Ordered some fish for late next week from Wetspot:

12- Otocinclus cocama "Zebra Otocinclus"

7 - Lamp Eye Congo Tetra Phenacogrammus aurantiacus

12- Blue Diamond Congo Tetra Alestopetersius smykalai

**The Otto's I will most likely add to my established 30 gallon for a week or so and just introduce the tetras to the 180 gallon to not shock the beneficial bacteria too much at one time.

Geophagus will order by 1st week in November.

14. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Wetspot called back, Blue Congo's not ready to ship... Have to get them in another shipment---

15. mbkemp Member Member

That is a wow order. Those cocama are a bucket list of mine.

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm making an order soon as well. Super excited!

17. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Oh good! :) What are you getting?

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I actually haven't decided yet. I have some ideas, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up, as the list updates weekly. I don't want to plan too far in advance and have the chosen species not be available.

19. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

You are much smarter than me-- I do that all the time, count my eggs before they hatch--- and then am disappointed.
    I am working on it.

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I can't afford to order from Wetspot often, due to the high shipping, so I carefully plan out my options and have back ups and change the ideas weekly :)