Frogs

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by jocompany, Mar 23, 2010.

1. j

jocompany New Member Member

Hello, recently at my local aquarium centre I found small albino frogs about 1.5 cm long I am just wondering if anybody has had any of these frogs in there aquarium? I was told that they do not need to leave the water at all

Thanks

J...

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well I'll tell you what I know. The yare either African dwarf frogs, or african clawed frogs. I would guess african clawed frogs as I have never personally heard of or seen an albino african dwarf frog.
    African clawed frogs can get about as big as a fist and will eat any fish that can fit into their mouths.
    African dwarf frogs are a lot smaller, 2-3" I think, and are not as aggresive as clawed frogs.
    Both species do best in a tank of their own. No they do not need land but they shouldn't be kept in too deeper tank incase they find it difficult to swim up for air.

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ben's right, if they're white, they're Albino African Clawed Frogs. They can get rather large and enjoy a fish dinner.

Look at their front legs, if there is no webbing they are Albino African Clawed Frogs.
    If there is webbing, they are African Dwarf Frogs, although I've never seen an albino one.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen an albino ADF either.

ACF gets pretty big.

5. trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

I've read that there is no such thing as albino ADFs but sometimes pet stores will label it that way-and the people buying them unfortunately find out they're actually African Clawed Frogs, which grow much bigger than ADFs will eat anything else in the tank that will fit in their mouth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice