Frogs or turtles with fish??

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
any frogs (not african dwarfs) to house with fish in a thirty?? I'm bored of JUST fish and wanna do half fish and half like frogs reptiles or a turtle or something! I have a 30 gallon that is 20 inches long and have been wanting rainbow fish and a german blue ram... I don't know what I could put in the tank I don't even know how to set it up right now betta fry are in there until they grow out of it, then I want to set up the terrarium paludarium whatever it is called. help if you can please

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Forget about frogs with rams, they have strict requirements. Rainbows in a 30 I wouldn't do, not even in a long. Your tank doesn't sound like a 30 gallon being that its 20 inches long. I have a 30 and its 3ft long and 16 inches high. Paludarium is neat, perhaps dart frogs and very small hardy fish, I would say embers but they can be sensitive. Neons might work and would look cool, remember they like cooler waters.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
andy305mia said:
Forget about frogs with rams, they have strict requirements. Rainbows in a 30 I wouldn't do, not even in a long. Your tank doesn't sound like a 30 gallon being that its 20 inches long. I have a 30 and its 3ft long and 16 inches high. Paludarium is neat, perhaps dart frogs and very small hardy fish, I would say embers but they can be sensitive. Neons might work and would look cool, remember they like cooler waters.
can I put rams in a 20 long?

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
idkausernamesoyeah said:
can I put rams in a 20 long?
also I meant a 29 gallon it has weird measurments its the same length as a 20 long but its tall which I dislike but I bought it in a kit

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Measure your tank lol. German rams would work in a 20 long or a 29. I had 2 in a 29 and they were happy. They need plenty of cover and high temps and a well established tank. So I wouldn't even try to keep rams in your tank until its be cycled and in service for at least 3-4 months. The longer you wait the better. They like warm temps, I keep mine in 82-84 degrees. You need plenty of water agitation since the oxygen levels are lower at high temps, and should change the water weekly. They are sensitive fish, make sure the water is the same temperature going in when you perform a water change. I love mine, they are great eaters and have plenty of personality and are beautiful fish. But they are not for beginners, and I would say 75% success rate is from where you get them and how you acclimate them to your tank. Assuming you meet all the other characteristics and you have the right tank mates and perform water changes correctly you should be fine. They prefer soft acidic water but they should do fine in a bit higher pH. I have a pair now in a 30 gallon with 12 rummynose tetra 1 sterbaI and 1 angelfish. Aside from my sterbaI mostly dying off, the rest of my fish are doing great. I rushed my tank a bit and suffered some losses at first. I would buy Rams locally, not online just my 2 cents.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
andy305mia said:
Measure your tank lol. German rams would work in a 20 long or a 29. I had 2 in a 29 and they were happy. They need plenty of cover and high temps and a well established tank. So I wouldn't even try to keep rams in your tank until its be cycled and in service for at least 3-4 months. The longer you wait the better. They like warm temps, I keep mine in 82-84 degrees. You need plenty of water agitation since the oxygen levels are lower at high temps, and should change the water weekly. They are sensitive fish, make sure the water is the same temperature going in when you perform a water change. I love mine, they are great eaters and have plenty of personality and are beautiful fish. But they are not for beginners, and I would say 75% success rate is from where you get them and how you acclimate them to your tank. Assuming you meet all the other characteristics and you have the right tank mates and perform water changes correctly you should be fine. They prefer soft acidic water but they should do fine in a bit higher pH. I have a pair now in a 30 gallon with 12 rummynose tetra 1 sterbaI and 1 angelfish. Aside from my sterbaI mostly dying off, the rest of my fish are doing great. I rushed my tank a bit and suffered some losses at first. I would buy Rams locally, not online just my 2 cents.
gotcha!! I love rainbow fish so much!!! I m thinking abt getting a 40-45 gallon tank bc I have to replace the lights on the 30 gallon and the stand can with handle up to 45 gallons. ill get like a 40 or 45 long at petco when there's the sale... could they go in that and would that change the half aquatic half land setup situation?

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had a Texas Map turtle with fish in my tank. It was a 40 gallon would of preferred a 45. It worked, this particular turtle likes deep water but I had a turtle topper as well. Turtles are neat but they are messy even the smallest ones. I don't recommend fish with turtles, the fish will always live in fear. I would never do it again. It's just wrong imo. Good luck.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
andy305mia said:
I had a Texas Map turtle with fish in my tank. It was a 40 gallon would of preferred a 45. It worked, this particular turtle likes deep water but I had a turtle topper as well. Turtles are neat but they are messy even the smallest ones. I don't recommend fish with turtles, the fish will always live in fear. I would never do it again. It's just wrong imo. Good luck.
got it thanks

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
idkausernamesoyeah said:
I'm such an idiot its 30 inches long not 20. can I have rainbow fish in it??
Dwarf rainbows. Not anything else. Imo. Sorry. They get pretty big. I was looking at some for my 36" long and it was still too small.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
andy305mia said:
Dwarf rainbows. Not anything else. Imo. Sorry. They get pretty big. I was looking at some for my 36" long and it was still too small.
DARN!!! yeah I can't go above a 55 sadly

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
andy305mia said:
55 would be fine
I worded that wrong I meant I can't go up to a 55. 45 max even that like my mom would be annoyed with me bc I already have my 30 gallon lol but I want biggerrrrrrr

New Threads