Frogbit Submersible?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Alcmiller, Apr 16, 2010.

1. AlcmillerValued MemberMember

I know frogbit is considered a floating plant. but do you think it would be possible to plant it under water as a foreground plant?

Might be silly..

but thanks!

2. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Maybe. Typically floating plants have high co2 demands so you would need to make sure there was plenty of co2 & enough light for it to grow. Anchoring it in the substrate would be an issue to. I doubt it would spread out very well either.

For a similar look I suggest Water Clover (Marsilea Hirsuta) as being a much better option.
    Here's some info on it:

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Since many floating plants have really short water roots I'm not sure they could take up the nutrients they need . they would also be hard to keep in the substrate.
    Nutters suggestion for a substitute is excellent.
    Carol

4. ilikefishValued MemberMember

When my HOB filter gets one under the water line and it gets caught on decore its leaves begin to turn brown.

5. AlcmillerValued MemberMember

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. This stuff grows like weeds so I might just try putting one bunch of it down there and see how it fairs after a couple of days.

Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice