Frogbit roots suddenly disappeared, mystery snail?

Trekker1125

I got some frogbit, Dwarf water lettuce, and red root floaters about a month ago. They lost most of their longer roots in shipping as expected, and some roots melted off initially as expected also. The frogbit then put out some insanely long roots, reaching the bottom of my 10 gallon tank after a couple weeks and creating a tangled jungle of roots in my 2.5 gallon, and the water lettuce all put out some 4-5" roots. Now all the sudden all those super long roots on my frogbit in the 10 gallon tank started looking a little stringy and then disappeared by the time I got home from work. The frogbits still look super healthy and have lots of 2-3" roots, and all the other floaters are still healthy with no root loss. The long frogbit roots in the 2.5 gallon are still going strong as well. I dose some liquid ferts every 2 or 3 days, a little less than the bottle suggests. The pH for the 10 gallon stays at 6.6, with around 10-15 on the nitrates, 0 ammonia and nitrites. The 2.5 has pH 6.4, 5 nitrates, 0 nitrites and ammonia. The only thing that has changed in the 10gallon was the addition of a mystery snail and a nerite snail (and no visible algae now, although it wasn't out of hand in the first place). The mystery snail completely cleans up all decaying plant material and is constantly making its rounds cleaning up the tank, while the nerite sticks to making his rounds on the glass and narrow sagittaria leaves. I have caught them both navigating the undersides of the floaters, but not actually munching on any of them. I'm thinking it may have been the mystery snail with how efficient he is at cleaning up all the plant matter. Are they known to snack on frogbit roots? Anybody have any experience with that? Any suggestions on other possibilities? If it's the mystery snail then I'll just have to live with it, but I really liked the crazy long roots so if it could be something else then I'm all ears. Photo shows some of the roots before (about a weeks ago), you can see a few of the super long frogbit roots in it.

MacZ

Sometimes they do this when something besides Nitrates is missing in the water. Have the leaves changed?

Linda1234

I doubt it is the mystery snail. I have 10 or so in a 5 gallon tank and the roots from the frogbit reaches the bottom of the aquarium and grows in to the substrate. kind of wish the snails would eat it.

StarGirl

Is your Mystery snail brown? It could be a apple snail that will get huge and eat all of your plants. Mystery snails usually dont eat plants unless they are hungry. Are you feeding him food like veggies and stuff?

Trekker1125

Sometimes they do this when something besides Nitrates is missing in the water. Have the leaves changed?
No changes in any of the plants, besides the mysteriously missing long roots.
Is your Mystery snail brown? It could be a apple snail that will get huge and eat all of your plants. Mystery snails usually dont eat plants unless they are hungry. Are you feeding him food like veggies and stuff?
It's an ivory mystery snail. I haven't done any veggies in the tank yet though. He was keeping busy with the algae for a while, and is always quick to clean up any new plant detritus... but the tank is looking pretty pristine now. I purposefully get some extra food to the bottom for the little cories, and I'm sure he gets in on that, too. The snails have only been in the tank for a week now, and I knew the algae wouldn't last forever, but they are definitely much faster than I thought they would be. I'll start adding some blanched veggies and see how it goes.

Trekker1125

I tried some blanched spinach yesterday evening and left it in overnight. I saw the mystery snail check it out last night, but didn't seem interested and kept going. It was still untouched this morning so I pulled it out. I blanched some zucchini today and dropped a piece in and the mystery snail was super happy with it (as seen in the photo). The little cories nibbled at it as well, which didn't seem to phase the mystery snail at all.

Linda1234

I tried some blanched spinach yesterday evening and left it in overnight. I saw the mystery snail check it out last night, but didn't seem interested and kept going. It was still untouched this morning so I pulled it out. I blanched some zucchini today and dropped a piece in and the mystery snail was super happy with it (as seen in the photo). The little cories nibbled at it as well, which didn't seem to phase the mystery snail at all.
fyi: you don't have to blanch it; just cut, wash and drop it in.

StarGirl

fyi: you don't have to blanch it; just cut, wash and drop it in.
Yep ....it will just float when it is raw so you will need something to weigh it down. I use plant weights. Mine love the skin and eat that first usually so I dont even peel it.

Trekker1125

Yep ....it will just float when it is raw so you will need something to weigh it down. I use plant weights. Mine love the skin and eat that first usually so I dont even peel it.
Well that makes life easier. I had read that the skin can have pesticides that don't get removed by basic rinsing, but I was disappointed because the skin has more nutrients. I got organic... it should be pretty safe... right?

StarGirl

Yeah should be fine. I use regular old grocery store veggies. I wash them to get the waxy stuff they put on them off. Thats up to you how you do it.

MacZ

I got organic... it should be pretty safe... right?

Usually yes. There are some pesticides though that are allowed to use in organic agriculture that contain copper compounds, though. They are usually not used on veggies a human would at best wash and eat raw. So cucumber is safe, Zucchini might not. But for all of them a good wash and rinse should be enough preparation.

Trekker1125

Just an update. I have mystery snails in 2 of my tanks, and frogbit and water lettuce in both. If I keep the mystery snails REALLY well fed then the frogbit roots start to grow rather quickly, if I dial back the amount I feed them then the roots immediately start disappearing again. They never mess with any other plants in the tank, and they aren't brown apple snails. I now have one gold, one blue, and some magentas. They sure do eat a LOT. To keep them happy, I feed a lot of "snail snacks" and rotate with green wafers, snello, and blanched zuchinni. Im sure they also get in on some fish foods and the occasional frozen blood worms and bbs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Giul
Replies
Views
LanceDog
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views