Frogbit is turning black...help!!!

LanceDog

I got some frogbit from my lfs a few months ago. It multipied quickly after it got established and the roots got super long to the point where they had to be trimmed so my betta could swim normally. Since then (a month or 2) leaves have been turning black and mushy. The roots are growing back but not as much as before. The plants aren't multiplying as fast either but they haven't declined or died totally aside from one I found this morning.

I use Flourish (switching to Thrive when it is gone) and Seachem Iron, and api co2 booster. Ferts are dosed twice a week and co2 daily. I cut down to 8 hrs of light (from 12) in case the light was burning the plants. It is bare bottom but I am actively looking for a substrate. Tank has been set up since last Oct. 10 gal with a betta and nerite snail. Other plants are duckweed, moss balls, and hornwort. The hornwort I removed completely from the tank but it started to grow back from tiny scraps left behind.

So what is happening to my frogbit and how do I correct it?

Attachments

• 20200430_074458(0).jpg
    20200430_074458(0).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 69

-Mak-

Excel is the same thing as API CO2 booster, so are you dosing both at once?
I would just get the Thrive now, since Excel is not a fertilizer. Lack of nutrients may be the problem.

I didn't have much success with Frogbit even under medium-high light and full dosing regular Thrive. I think mine probably got splashed or moved around too much. Do yours get water on the surface of the leaves?

LanceDog

Excel is the same thing as API CO2 booster, so are you dosing both at once?
I would just get the Thrive now, since Excel is not a fertilizer. Lack of nutrients may be the problem.

I didn't have much success with Frogbit even under medium-high light and full dosing regular Thrive. I think mine probably got splashed or moved around too much. Do yours get water on the surface of the leaves?

My bad it is NOT Excel, it is Flourish. They get Flourish and API CO2 Booster.

Some plants do have water over their leaves. Surface movement is minimal since I have a betta. The HOB is baffled to curb the water flow but it is on the highest setting

flyinGourami

Some plants do have water over their leaves. Surface movement is minimal since I have a betta. The HOB is baffled to curb the water flow but it is on the highest setting
I think that may be the issue, frogbit doesn't do well when its leaves are wet. I would try to make sure that no water is getting on there(so no excessive splashing, removing or being more careful with the lid would probably help too).

-Mak-

Hmm. If it's possible, see if you can prevent all water on leaves.
You can also wait to see if their condition improves with Thrive. What are your nitrates typically at?

LanceDog

Hmm. If it's possible, see if you can prevent all water on leaves.
You can also wait to see if their condition improves with Thrive. What are your nitrates typically at?

When I tested last week, Nitrates were 10 or 20. I have a hard time reading colors on API liquid tests.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chummus
  • Question
Replies
Views
kansas
  • Question
Replies
Views
Maryellen