Frogbit died

kansas

I got some frogbit last winter by mail. It was partly frozen when I got it, but recovered and began spreading in my Flex 15.

After covering most of the surface, it began to die back. After most of the leaves melted or became covered with algae, I removed the plant.

I'm a noob, and I chalked this up to the tight lid keeping the plants wet by condensation. I've since started using better ferts and have the algae under control, and am thinking of trying again as I liked the long roots.

Is the high humidity going to be a problem growing frogbit?

Ghelfaire

I don't keep a lid on the tank I have with frogbit and it grows like crazy. It's a bit more dangerous if your fish are jumpers but if you have a pretty solid layer of it they don't seem to try.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Is the high humidity going to be a problem growing frogbit?

Yep, that or too much current at the surface. Usually when one of them starts rotting, you get a chain reaction.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I wasn't having good luck with any floating plants until I removed my lids. I tried frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, red root floaters and salvinia. None of them grew well. Those that grew were tiny plants but even they would eventually melt away. Now that I have gone lidless I am constantly having to remove some to allow light to my other plants.

Upvote 0

kansas

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I have salvinia doing well, just hoping for something with longer roots.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Trekker1125
Replies
Views
LanceDog
Replies
Views
danhutchins
  • Question