Frog

Ineedhelppleasee

Reaction score
My Albino African Clawed Frog has a Cory Catfish stuck in its mouth. The fish is dead and the frog is alive but not acting well, I gently tried to pull them apart but I’m afraid if I do the fins will poke though the frogs stomach and back. I’ve saw posts like this but never knew what the result was.. Will the frog die if left alone? He acts like he is having trouble to come up for air?

Please help!!

Photo

Attachments

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am so sorry to hear about that. That's crazy! I have a couple of dwarf african frogs, but they have never gotten a fish in their mouth. I don't have any professional advice, but I would personally do my best to remove it if it seems he cannot get it out or in. Was this a full size Cory? Is there any way to use tweezers to try and rotate it around so it is head first and you can pull it out facing you? I don't know if the fins would do any damage, but would be concerned just the same as you are. Looks like it's a tight fit. I can't imagine him digesting that. Please keep us posted!

Ineedhelppleasee

Reaction score
The Cory is much to large to turn around and I’ve tried for a pretty good while now, I’m afraid after trying everything I can to pull it out it would damage the frog pretty good. They have been together for about a year and did great. The frog now isn’t moving at all unless you disturb him some

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh no, that's terrible. I know this is morbid, but if you are trying to save the frog... Is there any way to carefully cut the cory out? Like with some sharp craft scissors or something, being that the frog can't really move much? You would of course have to be super careful, but if you could even trim the fins down some it may help to remove it. Hold the frog in one hand, or better yet, have someone else help so you can have both hands free to try and cut the fins off of the cory. I know, terrible, but trying to think of how to save the frog at this point. : (

Ineedhelppleasee

Reaction score
I may have done bad, I ended up cutting some of the fish out with scissors in hopes that he could digest it better but it isn’t looking good, if I try to pull the fish out the fins start to poke through, and the frog is hard to hold on to without hurting him. Do you think waiting it out would pan out?

Attachments

belarskio

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mabye he is trying to swallow it. I dont know much about frogs but I know some animals slowly pull smaller animals into their mouth and they look stuck when they are not.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is just horrible. I am so sorry. Other than trying to remove more of the fins to pull it out I don't know what to recommend besides waiting it out. Which sucks, because there's no way to tell if he will be able to swallow it or get rid of it. Maybe giving him the night will allow him to work through it himself? I really don't know. I really hope everything works out though, I can imagine how stressful it must be. Fingers crossed for you.

belarskio

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ineedhelppleasee said:
I hope that you’re right I’m going to leave him be and maybe he’ll be fine, thanks
Dont take my word for it because like I said I know little about frogs so you should try googling it.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This may also sound a bit harsh but can u get the Cory with tweezers and squeeze it to see if it can be flattened a bit.. sorry for this happening hope it gets sorted and the frog is fine sorry about your Cory :(

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear. A bad ending for both. As Xenopus Laevis grows they'll eventually eat everything in the tank that will fit in their mouth and then some.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom