Frog tank mate

Rhianna Brown

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 3 African dwarf frogs and one snail I was thinking of shrimp but the frogs probably would eat them.

So either a school of ember tetras or one betta I mostly just want to keep the bioload as small as I can.

I think ember tetras are the smallest fish I could get?? But a single betta would probly be less bio load.
Which of the two would be the best with frogs? The lower bioload And which is a hardier fish between the tetra and betta?
Thanks for any info!!!!!

I just ordered some staurogyne repens too to try to carpet the bottom so it won’t be so bare.

Attachments

Queeniequeen27

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of the thing in your background in Aquariums recently. Am in correct in thinking this is a Lucky Bamboo?

As for the lower bio load, I would say that one single Betta fish is going to be a lower bioload than a school of ember tetra.
How many litres is your aquarium ?

I also think that the Betta fish would be a better companion as the ember tetra could be mistaken for food.
Betta fish are very popular to be kept with ADF’s.
I’m actually setting up my new 72 litre and would like to get 3 ADF’s also along with some other peaceful community fish.

Rhianna Brown

Valued Member
Reaction score
Queeniequeen27 said:
I also think that the Betta fish would be a better companion as the ember tetra could be mistaken for food.
Betta fish are very popular to be kept with ADF’s.
I’m actually setting up my new 72 litre and would like to get 3 ADF’s also along with some other peaceful community fish.
Yeah lol I changed it because I was worried about the rocks I used before and I had to take the grass out it was a nightmare. Yes lucky bamboo. I used to have lucky bamboo in the tank for years they do really good as long as the top is not submerged.

Oh it’s a 15 gallon

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would not do ember tetras. They are cool but they are fairly small.
I would get a larger species of shrimp. Maybe get a few ghost shrimp and see how that goes.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think forgo the embers, and get a group of micro rasboras (boraras species). A lot smaller tha embers, lower bioload IMO, active (embers are fairly boring) and better coloured.

Queeniequeen27

Reaction score
Rhianna Brown said:
Yeah lol I changed it because I was worried about the rocks I used before and I had to take the grass out it was a nightmare. Yes lucky bamboo. I used to have lucky bamboo in the tank for years they do really good as long as the top is not submerged.

Oh it’s a 15 gallon
Oh dear, I can imagine taking out the grass wasn’t fun. Do you have any tips or suggestions for keeping ADF?

I’m still planning my aquarium I’d like to take my time And get it right.

Attachments

Rhianna Brown

Valued Member
Reaction score
Queeniequeen27 said:
Oh dear, I can imagine taking out the grass wasn’t fun. Do you have any tips or suggestions for keeping ADF?

I’m still planning my aquarium I’d like to take my time And get it right.
What I’ve learned so far is the main thing with them is food. They need a couple diff types I have the sinking mini pellets and frozen blood worms. But you have to give them food only every other day or very little at a time cause they will just keep eating and get huge bellies which isn’t good.
also if you have other fish with them it’s hard for them toget their food they are very slow at finding it so other fish can eat it first.
I have a glass dish in the tank. You drop the food in that and they eventually learn to go there. But watch and make sure they actually eat if there’s other fish.

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The best tankmates are ones that are peaceful, occupy a different level in the water, and won't compete for food. Small peaceful tetras are ideal, I've found. Bettas will constantly be cruising their bottom territory looking for food and the frogs get very annoyed.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads