Frog food?

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by wildboy84, Apr 1, 2010.

1. w

wildboy84 New Member Member

Hey,
    I have two African dwarf frogs, and I can't get them to there food before the other fish get to it. So, I was wondering if I could feed them earth worms by hand. Do earth worms have the right nutrition for the little guys?

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Have you tried shrimp pellets? Just feed your flakes or whatever you're feeding and then drop some shrimp pellets in and they sink really quickly so then while your other fish are distracted they can get a bite.

Just keep in mind if they don't eat them then the rest of your fish will eat them. The fish at the store I work at all LOVE shrimp pellets.

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Earth worms are probably too big for the little guys and not proper nutrition.
    Blood worms are really better for them along with occasional frog and tadpole bites.

Sounds like you'll have to spot feed them. You can use a turkey baster or rounded tweezers (found in the reptile section).

4. OP
    OP
    w

Thanks,
    I'll try that, I am currently feeding them frog and tadpole bites and my fish apparently love those.

5. Lucy

Your fish will love blood worms too. With some extra attention, you can make sure your frogs get their fair share. :)

Oh, use the frozen ones (thawed)...freeze dried can cause constipation.

6. OP
    OP
    w

Oh, also, one of my frogs has white Eyes with foggy pupils that I can't even see sometimes. Does this mean that he is blind or is this common. When I tried to spot feed him he didn't even notice that the food was there and he swam right over it after it was sitting in front of him for about 10 minutes and the other fish went down and ate it a couple minutes later. Do you have any other advise on giving him food.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning.

The link below may help you if you haven't already seen it:
    Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs

It's my understanding that the aquatic frogs have poor eye sight. That may be why yours didn't notice the food as you mentioned. I don't know if your frog has other eye issues or not, or if the eye issues may be caused by poor water conditions. Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and pH?

Your aquarium profile for the frogs tank states "haven't had one yet" for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Does that men that you don't have a test kit? If not, then the API (liquid) Master Test Kit is highly recommended.

Best wishes!
    Ken

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  8. Lucy

Ken is right, they will often miss their food because of their poor eye sight.

However, cloudy eyes are not normal.
    Often times this is caused by poor water conditions.
    If you could post your readings, it would be very helpful.

9. OP
    OP
    w

My test kit ran out of strips about 3 weeks ago and I don't have a car so I have been begging my mom to go to the LFS and get another. Is the API master test kit better then others?

10. Lucy

The strips can be very inaccurate.
    In the absence of a kit, water changes never hurt, just in case.

What is your water change routine?

I have 2 adf's in a 5g. I found my nitrates rise pretty quickly.
    When they did, one of my frogs developed cloudy eye.
    A series of water changes helped clear it up.

11. OP
    OP
    w

I usually change my water every Saturday. Its usually a 20% water change. Should I do more then that or maybe twice a week?

12. Lucy

It might be a good idea until you can get a proper reading.
    It's usually best to rule out water conditions before anything.

13. OP
    OP
    w

Thanks, but he is also whiter and,well, fatter than the other. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I'll try to get a picture.

14. Lucy

Hmmm, are you sure it's an African Dwarf Frog and not an Albino Clawed Frog?
    A pic would help.

Look at his front feet, is there webbing between his toes?

15. OP
    OP
    w

I'm not sure, here is a picture. Its not very good, but you can see that it is pretty light colored.

Attached Files:

16. Lucy

I can't really tell from the pic.

The face shape looks like an ADF, but I've never seen one that color.
    His back looks sunken, but his belly looks big.
    Perhaps it's just the way he's sitting?

See if you can check his front feet.

17. OP
    OP
    w

I'm fairly sure the're webbed, and I looked at some pictures of albino ADFs and don't think he is one but I'm not entirely sure.

18. Lucy

Albino ACF's (African Clawed Frog) not Albino ADF's African Dwarf Frog)
    Just want to be sure you know there's a big difference.
    ACF's get rather large and have no webbing on their front feet. ADF's stay small and having webbing.

Honestly, I've never seen an Albino ADF.
    Has he always been that color?
    How long have you had him?

19. OP
    OP
    w

Sorry, typo. But, yes he has always been like that, his stomach has always been really big to.

20. Lucy

I'm guilty of that too!

Sorry, but that's strange, lol.

Have his pupils always looked the way you described?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice