Fright Of Your Life

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I just had the fright of my life. I was looking at my tank and I have a piece of hollow driftwood with a small hole in it so you can see inside a little. Now I realised there's some odd white-ish thing pressed against the hole from the inside and I had no idea what it was...I poked it with a stick and nothing happened. I knew it wasn't a leaf, so I quickly took stock of the tank, trying to figure out whose dead body I was about to have to pull out of this log, but everyone was there. SOMEHOW I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT I HAVE A CLOWN LOACH!!! Eventually I see enough colouring to tell it's my loach. My heart drops, thinking he must've got himself stuck in there and died... I pick the piece of wood up, take it half out the water and still no movement. I turn it so I can see the hollow part and yep, there's his tail. I reach in to pull him out, thinking he was dead, but the tail moved a little! I quickly put the wood back under water and shook it gently, hoping he was still alive. Eventually he popped out, completely unharmed. I swear these fish will be the death of me:dead::emoji_joy:

Just thought I'd start a thread where others could share their funny/scary fish keeping experiences, so please post yours!

2. Beaban

Beaban New Member Member

My yoyo loach disappeared for three days... I looked everywhere and it turns out he had burrowed underneath a rock and had a little sand cave that I didn't know about I only found him again because he chased a tetra away one day

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

About 1-2 weeks ago I found a damselfly larvae in my corydoras pygmaeus tank. These things only eat fry when full grown but since pygmaeus are petite I did worry about it. What if I hadnt found it and came home to a giant insect suctioning the insides of one of my fish?!

4. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

My Polka Dot Loach is a goofy son of a gun. He rests completely on his back or on his side in front of his favorite stump, he tries wedging himself in between everything he can, like between the filter and the glass. The thing that freaks me out the most is when he rests while the suction from the filter is holding him against it. I am always afraid he died and got stuck to it, but he is always fine. I have actually seen him play with it many times, he will stick himself to it, jitter around a lot, swim around it, and stick himself to it in different positions.

I also couldn't find my dojo loach for hours, I assumed he buried himself or something, and when I went to do dishes, he was all mucusy and dry in the sink. He recovered with no issues, thankfully. I dropped him in the water and he sprung back to life. I made sure to cover the 1x1.5" hole he jumped out of, I didn't think a fish was capable of computing that kind of trajectory. I was obviously realllllly wrong.

5. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I used to have this betta when I was a kid who'd be swimming around fine, then just DROP. To the bottom of the tank, laying on his side. Or he'd do it when you weren't watching and you'd think he was dead. I also thought a honey gourami was dead once, got him in the net... And it swam out of it! I have more odd stories too...

7. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Lol, this lady in an LFS didn't know shrimps molted, and was demanding to know what happened because there was a molt and she thought she It was a dead shrimp and thought another shrimp was canibalizing it (the molted shrimp was just eating its molt).

OR

The time a gentleman got snails and didn't know the that they have a modified breathing system that allows them to sink or float. So he was watching his snail and it suddenly just dropped and he thought he watched it die lol; then it bobbed back up, and dropped again. He looked at me so bewildered when I explained it to him lol

8. C

ChiefBrody Valued Member Member

Not to go off topic but I really need to stress the importance of recognizing the schooling/shoaling behavior of loaches. They're not algae eaters they're social animals and need to be kept in groups. Botia loaches even have sonar capabilities specifically to communicate with each other. Please keep more loaches together. Until you see them all together you just have no idea. In the wild there's hundreds if not thousands together at a time. This goes for corydoras as well. That's why they hide. It's because they're petrified. They need larger groups to feel secure

9. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

My sae likes to jump out of my tank i cant count the number of times if dusted him of before adding him back to my tank.

10. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Happened to me *and* my friend. I was draining my 45 because I was moving and while I was setting up a filter for the goldfish I told my friend to keep an hand close to the vacume tube so that my dojo loaches didn't swim into it when the water got low. JUST as I remembered that California likes to nibble and was about to warn her I heard a shriek that scared the heck out of me as well. Cali had tasted my friend.

I cleaning my 60g and wasn't paying attention and she got me on the inside of the elbow. (20" deep tank) WOW did I jump. That tickles!

Totally agree @ChiefBrody, my first loach was an impulse buy then I went back for another the next day. Now I got 3 and looking for more but my petstore can't keep them alive for some reason and I'm not in the city often. I also have a ropefish in the middle that thinks he's a loach so I will often see all four piled on top of each other.

11. C

I love hearing that. Ropefish like groups too I guess. I want to do them in brackish some day

12. C

CanadianBacons New Member Member

Well I have a mystery snail n my 20gal guppy tank with shrimp. This one time I hear something hit the glass over and over. Turns out my snail decided to float and just go with the current of the filter and since it kind of goes on a loop on he surface he was just riding along. It scared me at first though cause I thought it was dead.

13. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

@ChiefBrody yes they are schooling fish but I got this one with my tank when I bought it from a previous owner. I haven't seen any clown loaches at my lfs before and I wouldn't be able to get more any way as my tank is not big enough. Seeing if the LFS would take him will probably just land him in the same situation of being the only one of his kind in the tank.

14. C

Clowns will attempt to school with your other fish of equal size but it doesn't always work. I have seen it work with Africans

15. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

My frog acts dead all the time. She wedges herself between the thinnest gaps. Mutliple mornings I have woken up and declared her dead. She's still going.

16. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

@ChiefBrody yeah, I have noticed that my clown attempts to hang out with my gold gourami and also the rainbow sharks, otherwise he seems quite happy, doesn't hide too often :p only on the days where he wants to send me in to cardiac arrest :D

Speaking of the devil... 20170716_171058.jpg

17. C

I mean ciclids but yeah African frogs do that'll weird amphibian-suspended animation thing and then snap out of it and dart around the tank. They're supposed to be easy to breed. Seen alot going around lately. Tadpoles n everything. They're definitely our (fishkeepers) responsibility at this point. After visiting the local reptile show this year it's clear they want nothing to do with them. I saw more insects there than I expected. Plenty of jobs and face tattoos also. I'm sorry but keeping a beautiful snake in a shoebox under the bed isn't my idea of animal husbandry. Sad really. Im looking for a tentacle snake.They did have an axolotl table but absolutely no amphibians at all. They really aren't that hard on fish. Definitely keep your livebearers in check. But once the fish get big they're fine. I housed a platy, an eastern newt, and an ATF together for nearly a decade. Actually the frog ripped the newts leg off and it grew back. The fish was fine.

18. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

My polka dot loach, dojo loach, and corys usually stay pretty close together, they all take turns swimming together when they aren't resting. I have found over time that shoaling fish like company of any kind, but they prefer the company of their own species.
    I bought my Polka Dot Loach singularly because he was the very last one in the tank, some guy at my LFS bought 12 out of the last 13 in the tank (like, really man, discriminating against a single loach?) and when I saw him alone I had to buy him. I plan on letting him get a little bigger so when I set up my big Polka Dot Loach tank he will be the alpha loach.

I also found that Dojo loaches don't mind being the only loach, they like company in general. I have had a few and they always play or try to play with my other fish, even when I had multiple dojos in the tank at one time. They have always been one of my favorites, they get along with everything. They are particularly bad about playing dead too, they lay themselves in plants and stuff in the most bizarre fashion