Friends WAY Overstocked 10 gallon

1. gourami88 Member Member

I have a friend who has always told me about her fish in the huge planted tank for at least a year, but today was the first time i'd been over to her house and was able to get a look at them (i was excited about it because i love planted tanks and was curious to see what she had done with hers). I was horrified! Her "huge" tank was a 10 gallon. She had 2 live plants in black sand (they looked aweful). But the worst part was the fish.

In her 10 gallon she has:
    ~5 glolight zebra danios
    ~10 guppies (5 male/5 female)
    ~7 adult bronze cories
    ~male DG
    ~gold dojo loach
    ~female cockatoo dwarf cichlid

...talk about a jaw dropper. I've immediately told her everything that was wrong and told her that she needed more acceptable stock options for the tank. She is VERY resistant to the idea of getting rid of any of the fish, but said she might if I can give her a stock list of fish that she likes. In which case she would give me her fish and I could seperate them into my tanks where they will fit properly and she will get the new stock.

Here is where you come in. She isn't interested in just seeing a list of possible inhabitants. She wants several stocking scenarios. For example, not just neon tetras, but a full stock list. So if you have any full stock list ideas PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post them here! I will see her again on Monday and I would like to have as many stocking scenarios as possible to increase the chances she'll find one she likes.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Hummmm. Here's some ideas I have using as many of her current fish as possible.

List #1:
    6 neon tetras
    2 male guppies
    1 DG
    6 RCS or ghost shrimp

List #2:
    6 Cestial pearl danio
    1 DG
    2 Platy
    6 shrimp (same as above)

List #3:
    6 Micro rasboras
    2 Male guppy
    1 DG
    6 shrimp

List #4 (my favorite):
    6 Boraras Brigittaes
    2 Male guppies
    10 Blueberry shrimp
    TONS of plants!

I'm sure I can think of more..
    List #4:

3. Kent799 Initiate Member

I personally wouldn't put a DG in a 10 gallon tank. They can become very aggressive if not provided with enough room and having 8 other fish in a 10 gallon tank with them will do that. So I'd take the DG off the above lists.

If she ends up being into the DGs in a 10 gallon I'd do...

One Dwarf Gourami
    Three Small Bottom Feeders

Other options:

Three Balloon Mollies

Three Platies

Six small schooling fish of her choice. To name just a few:
    -Neon Tetra
    -Diamond Head Tetra
    -Rummynose Tetra
    -Cherry Barb

Should could get away with adding a guppy or balloon molly or a Platy to the six small schooling fish.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

*eye twitch*

I like all of e_watson's stocking ideas.

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you for trying to teach your friend..... even at the expense of putting all of us into myocardial infarction.....

10 gallon miniature paradise

10 ember tetras
    5 pygmy corys
    20 red cherry shrimp
    3 nerite snails

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd reduce the number of shrimp (because they'll breed like rabbits), and add more Cories. I could be biased on the Cory situation, though ;D

Besides that, Pygmy Cories like to be in larger groups. You could get away with 5 or 6 in a 10 gallon.

I also feel like the 3 Nerites would have too much competition between each other with algae. They need a constant supply of it, and don't seem to take veggies or prepared foods (IME). So maybe just one of those.

7. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

Holy moly! It may not be an overstocked bioload but in terms of space it's a time bomb. You've got some territoral ones in there.

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Bioload, space and compatibility are all topped...

I agree with e_watson... those are great lists and will look great

9. gourami88 Member Member

Since I last posted she surrender the female cockatoo cichlid, the gold dojo loach, the 7 cories and the 5 female guppies. Right now they are in a 30 gallon QT tank. I still let her know her stock was a bit much, and the DG would much rather have larger quarters. I am going to be heading over there tonight and I will take your suggestions. I appreciate every ones help and will let y'all know how it goes.

10. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would not put balloon mollies, rummynose tetras, or cherry barbs in a 10 gallon. Not sure about the diamond heads as I'm not familiar with them.

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Umm my idea:

6 male endlers
    10 blue pearl shrimp
    Purple mystery snail

12. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Maybe gourami could tell her friend to use e_watsons ideas. I really like them. But maybe she could switch the DG for a pair of honeys?

13. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

so ok here.....

1 honey gourami or several sparkling gouramis
    5 espei rasboras
    nerite snails/some kind of shrimpy/1 or 2 dwarf orange crayfish
    plants!

14. gourami88 Member Member

That may be one she'll go for. I never thought of the DOC's but I think she will really love the idea!

15. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

CPO actually stands for dwarf orange cray....seems weird, but it is the scientific name that is shortened. just a little info :) they are really awesome. i love mine. and they don't eat plants....or disturb much of anything.

16. Heather12404 Member Member

CPO's are awesome. I highly recommend them.

17. Kent799 Initiate Member

Lol!!!!