Friends new tank,bad set up and stocking?

Tigerburp

So this is my friend new tank I don’t know the size but I think stocking wise it is a disaster am I right? And what else should I tell them to fix

bored411

So this is my friend new tank I don’t know the size but I think stocking wise it is a disaster am I right? And what else should I tell them to fix
If that tank isn't 20 gallons+ then the goldfish are a big bad idea. The Barbs need to be a school of 5+. And if it's a new tank, then have they cycled it yet? If not, then they're going to have to do a fish-in cycle, so I would get them going on that and get Seachem Prime to keep the fish from dying to high ammonia and nitrite levels.

Tigerburp

If that tank isn't 20 gallons+ then the goldfish are a big bad idea. The Barbs need to be a school of 5+. And if it's a new tank, then have they cycled it yet? If not, then they're going to have to do a fish-in cycle, so I would get them going on that and get Seachem Prime to keep the fish from dying to high ammonia and nitrite levels.
I think those are skirt tetras and I doubt it’s cycled and it’s bare bottom and has no plants or hides .not very well done basically

bored411

I think those are skirt tetras and I doubt it’s cycled and it’s bare bottom and has no plants or hides .not very well done basically
my bad on the ID! their school size is the same though and they need 15 gallon or more because of how active they are. And I wouldn't be surprised if that single guppy chases and harrassed the other fish. It's just what male guppy do. I would definitely get some hides. they don't technically need a substrate and no substrate makes it easier to clean (as far as I know. I'm not an expert on that). but having hides or fake plants (or live, but you'd need substrate for most live plants other than floating ones) for them to have a place to go to avoid the other fish would be smart.

Tigerburp

my bad on the ID! their school size is the same though and they need 15 gallon or more because of how active they are. And I wouldn't be surprised if that single guppy chases and harrassed the other fish. It's just what male guppy do. I would definitely get some hides. they don't technically need a substrate and no substrate makes it easier to clean (as far as I know. I'm not an expert on that). but having hides or fake plants (or live, but you'd need substrate for most live plants other than floating ones) for them to have a place to go to avoid the other fish would be smart.
Ya I already suggest but he doesn’t seem to think there is anything wrong ‍♂️

StarGirl

No those are goldfish. ;) and skirts.

Just keep trying. Tell him to at least get some plants (fake even) to float around if anything.

Tigerburp

No those are goldfish. ;) and skirts.

Just keep trying. Tell him to at least get some plants (fake even) to float around if anything.
Definitely,I am even willing to go there myself and help , they are completely new

bored411

Yeah, I totally get that. You can have loads of experience on things but some people are just too stubborn and don't get it or feel like listening. I see that more with fish because people think fish are just expendable in comparison to other pets. It's a shame. All you can do is make suggestions and it's up to them to figure out if they'll listen. Like StarGirl said, see if you can at least get them to get something to break up that empty space

Tigerburp

Yeah, I totally get that. You can have loads of experience on things but some people are just too stubborn and don't get it or feel like listening. I see that more with fish because people think fish are just expendable in comparison to other pets. It's a shame. All you can do is make suggestions and it's up to them to figure out if they'll listen. Like StarGirl said, see if you can at least get them to get something to break up that empty space
Certainly hope he listens, I doubt those fish would live happy lives if he doesn’t change something

otterblue

Certainly hope he listens, I doubt those fish would live happy lives if he doesn’t change something

Go to his house, empty one of his closets and lock him in there with five people he doesn't know and then he'll get it.

ProudPapa

Then it might be best for you to helpfully answer any questions he asks, but otherwise not offer opinions. It doesn't sound like he's receptive to unsolicited suggestions, so any pushing is likely to make him more stubborn, and less likely to ask for help when things go wrong.

Tigerburp

Then it might be best for you to helpfully answer any questions he asks, but otherwise not offer opinions. It doesn't sound like he's receptive to unsolicited suggestions, so any pushing is likely to make him more stubborn, and less likely to ask for help when things go wrong.
Ya ,extremely frustrating

mattgirl

Unfortunately you are right. This isn't going to end well and these fish are going to pay the price. Some folks have to learn things the hard way. It is sad that in this case the fish are going to be the ones suffering while the lesson it learned. :(

I recognize the skirt tetras, a guppy and 2 goldfish. I don't know what the pink/orange looking fish up top is. I do know the tetras and guppy need warmer water than the goldfish so they are not temp compatible. That is the least of the problems though. We can only hope your friend will be willing to listen to you when, not if, these poor little fish start dying.

coralbandit

Your best option is to lead by example .
Just make your tank nicer and comment on achievements you have made [ age of fish ,how much a plant/fish has grown, breeding when possible ] .
Your friend will either eventually ask why they don't enjoy the same success or be one of the people who don't really become fish keepers .
Not all who enter the aquarium world realize the effort and knowledge required and when they find out they are not as interested in fish anymore ..
Others strive to learn and enjoy ..
There are many different hobbies for all different people .

Fish keeping is not for everyone no matter how much none of us understand it !
Last top fish looks like Danio

MasterPython

Is there a heater? Because the tetras need one and the goldfish don't.

Unless some fish are re-homed or surendered this tank is going to crash hard. If they let you give them some cycled media or substrate and show them how to change water and maybe it won't be a total disaster.

Tigerburp

Unfortunately you are right. This isn't going to end well and these fish are going to pay the price. Some folks have to learn things the hard way. It is sad that in this case the fish are going to be the ones suffering while the lesson it learned. :(

I recognize the skirt tetras, a guppy and 2 goldfish. I don't know what the pink/orange looking fish up top is. I do know the tetras and guppy need warmer water than the goldfish so they are not temp compatible. That is the least of the problems though. We can only hope your friend will be willing to listen to you when, not if, these poor little fish start dying.
I believe the top fish is a killifish or a rice fish not too sure
Is there a heater? Because the tetras need one and the goldfish don't.

Unless some fish are re-homed or surendered this tank is going to crash hard.

I d
He doesn’t need one ,where he lives is warm enough to be without a heater
Your best option is to lead by example .
Just make your tank nicer and comment on achievements you have made [ age of fish ,how much a plant/fish has grown, breeding when possible ] .
Your friend will either eventually ask why they don't enjoy the same success or be one of the people who don't really become fish keepers .
Not all who enter the aquarium world realize the effort and knowledge required and when they find out they are not as interested in fish anymore ..
Others strive to learn and enjoy ..
There are many different hobbies for all different people .

Fish keeping is not for everyone no matter how much none of us understand it !
Last top fish looks like Danio
Yes unfortunately,ya the top fish does look like a danio not very sure on that

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishrlene
Replies
Views
garlicrbrian
Replies
Views
DrPleconstein