Friend's Molly Acting Sick

Beth's_Fishies

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She has a sailfin molly ( female ) who's been staying at the top of the tank and not being active. She has a little brown thing that looks like string hanging from her underside but it doesn't seem to be coming off. Earlier she had a white string thing also there but I suppose it fell off. She looks very fragile, should my friend quarantine her? PH level is the same as it has been for a very long time, same with nitrates and nitrites. Ammonia is at 0.

Please help!

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What else can you tell us about the tank? Size, full stock list, exact parameters, everything.

OP
Beth's_Fishies

Beth's_Fishies

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The temperature: 76 fahrenheit
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: Not sure
Nitrite: Not sure
Hardness: Not sure
( This is just from my memory, I can't remember any further about the water parameters. I can ask her though. )

Tank: approx. 50 gallons
Stock list:
5 sailfin mollies
4 orange platies

No live plants at the moment, no cloudy water, etc. Not too heavily planted, but a number of fake plants and little hideouts for cover and such.

Other fish look perfectly fine.

Using Omega One fish food as the base fish food for all of them.

I have to contact her if you'd like further details.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If she appears to be having problems then I would at least isolate her from the other fish in a floating breeder box if your friend has one. It may make it easier for the molly to get food and not have to compete for it with the other fish. If she has a quarantine tank that would be best of course.

New Threads