Friends Come and Go - returning to the FL community

1. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Fishlore Community,
    So apparently it's been 9 months since I last posted, wow, doesn't feel like that long!

A lot has been happening, work just got insanely busy, and my weekends were getting taken up to. It's been hard work keeping up with everything, but it seems I might, once again, have the time to contribute to FL.

So the updates:
    My 18G (70L) FW Planted:
    Has gone through some changes. Some of it due to poor husbandry [barely enough time to do PWC's], some of it due nature.
    The b/n plecos pretty much destroyed my rarer plants :( but lesson learned, I am best off keeping broader leafed plants.
    I've lost some stock, 3 of my endlers managed to find the 1/8" gap in the glass lid and jumped out :confused: [found them on my desk]
    I've since added a school/shoal of 5 neon's, so the 18G now has:
    5 x Glowlights (the original 5 and first additions)
    5 x Neons
    2 x B/N pleco
    1 x Endler Livebearer - I desperately want to get some more, but I'm pushing the physical stocking limit of the tank - filtration I'd be fine.

I'm still battling BBA, but now that the husbandry is back to where it should be, I'm slowly getting on top if it again :;bmu

THE BIG ADDITION................. :;drum
    I GOT SALT! Yup, started a reef system!
    Last November (2011), I went wet with my:
    New Setup - Intention is Mixed Reef
    3' x 1.5' x 2' Euro Brace with centre Weir- Approx 250L with Sump, Approx 40kg LR, CaribSea Arognite Sand
    InWatter LED, Tunze 9011, 2 x Tunze 6055 on Multicontroller, Eheim Compact+ 2000, 2 x Eheim 100W

Livestock so far:

Inverts: 2 x Red Line Cleaner Shrimp, 4 x Peppermints, 2 x Turbos, 1 x Tropical Abalone, 1 x Sea Cucumber, 1 x unknown whelk
    Fish: 1 x Pyjama Cardinal, 1 x Flamehawk, 1 x Coral Beauty, 1 x Lawnmower Goby, 2 x True Perc Clown (pair), 1 x Six line
    Corals: Blasto, Elegance (Catalaphyllia), Green Star Polyps, Bubble Coral, Acan (I think), Zoas - plus more to come

I've joined my local marine society, and, as those who have SW know, it's a big learning curve. I did lot's of research prior to starting, so I was semi-prepared. I haven't had any major problems other than the typical Cyano/algae outbreaks.

I love both my setups!

Anyway, hopefully I've got time back on my hands to maintain my two setups (properly again) and contribute to the FW and SW communities.

Missed you guys! :;hug2

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back! =D

Oooh, Salt water! Thats exciting =D

3. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Glad to see your back on FishLore! Not much has changed here other than some of the menus.

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back!

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I am new to FL, so I never knew you, but welcome back. :;z

6. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks everyone - Good to be back.

I think you may have a spelling mistake

exciting - I think you mean expensive :;laughing

Seriously though - SW is very exciting, especially if you do your research first, you avoid the dramas, and can enjoy nature at its finest (so much happens)

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome back Ryan, good to see you. :)

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

:;laughing Thats exactly why I don't have one yet!

9. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Welcome back! Another salty FTW! Joining a local marine club is a good move. You can usually get some good frags from other reefers for cheap or even free that way.

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back Ryan!

11. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Welcome back! :)

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

:;hi2 Ryan

Nice to see you back on line.

Ken

13. lorabell Well Known Member Member

Welcome back!!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!! on the salt!!!!!

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

hey welcome back!