Friends Bettas Just Laid Eggs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lemonz13, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Lemonz13Valued MemberMember

So my friend has a 29g tank with a male and female betta in it and they just had eggs together. Is there any advice I should give her to care for the eggs?

I have already tried to get her to separate the bettas but she believes they are fine together, so please I really just want to know about egg care.

2. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

From the reasearch that I've done, the male will tend the eggs like a good daddy :)

Your friend will want Spiriluna to feed the fry in about a week? Watch out for the female eating fry- it's not natural to keep the female in the same tank, and she might just see them as food. Normally the female is removed to let the male tend the babies

I'm afraid that's all I can give you- my research was on the care of the fish, not the breeding :)

There's a section on the care of the fry.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  3. Lemonz13Valued MemberMember

Thanks, she was asking me questions I had no answers for

4. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

She will have to remove the fry to a different tank BTW

5. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Betta breeding is not to be taken lightly.

The female should immediately be removed and cared for in a separate tank.

In about a week, once the male stops scooping up the babies and stuffing them back in the nest, and they are free-swimming, he also needs to be removed and cared for in his own tank.

The babies (around 100) then need put in their own individual heated and filtered jars, and cared for until big enough to be put in tanks. Females can be put in a tank in groups of around five.
    Males all need their own tank each.

They then need cared for until they're big enough to go (to the pet store/wherever).

It's an expensive game, breeding betta, in both money and time.

6. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Tell her to leave them alone unless she is able to care for a hundred babies with daily water changes for dozens of jars - sisters can be kept in a tank together but aggressive ones have to be removed. She needs to remove one of her betas are they may kill each other (defendi g the eggs or trying to eat them). If they are in a community tank the fry will be eaten by other fish.
    It is not healthy to house male and female betas together because of their aggressive breeding style.

The babies need live food like baby brine shrimp or microworms to eat until they will take flake or pellet food, you need a large grow out tank for the dry or they will become stunted. The dry need daily water changes after they are a week old because they are sensitive to water parameters like any baby fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice