Friendly Bala sharks

Discussion in 'Bala Shark, Silver Shark' started by kayleigh, Apr 12, 2010.

1. kayleighNew MemberMember

I have read that bala sharks can tend to eat smaller tank mates.
    I have a 180l tank with the following in with my 5inch bala shark:
    15 x 8wk old guppies,
    2 x baby mollies
    1 adult guppy
    3 mollies
    2 corys
    1 clown loach
    1 red tailed shark
    1 gourami
    3 cardinal tetra
    2 plec

My bala shark is a great communial tank friend, beautiful to watch, i certainly will be getting more

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Hi kayleigh. Balas are beautiful, but they belong in a group of at least 3, and get HUGE. A 45 gallon tank isn't going to be big enough. Do you have plans to upgrade?

3. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

indeed he will if he can catch them :) but they are gentle giants for sure ....they also like to be in larger schools of 3 or more and he will break the tank hes in now :( they can ram the side of a tank from being so skittish and in the 48g tank, hes going to outgrow that really fast ...but great fish otherwise!~

4. platy benWell Known MemberMember

Meenu is right, when your Bala reaches its max size of 15" or so (if given the space), it won't be such a great community fish. Your clown loach could also do with a bigger tank.

If you want to happily keep them, I would buy a 120G and buy 3-4 more clownfish and 2-3 more Balas.

5. kayleighNew MemberMember

sorry msybe i got the litres wrong, its a 4ft x 2ft tank is that til too small? But yes we do plan to upgrade to a 6ft tank

6. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

You probably got the litres right, actually. Your tank is pretty big, just not big enough for those particular fish. They are so readily available at the stores, and people buy them all the time not knowing how big they get.

There are a few species of fish that are known "tank-busters" because they can get so big that they are known to crack aquarium glass. Balas are definitely on that list.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  7. kayleighNew MemberMember

Thanks meenu, best i give my dad a little push into getting me my bigger tank sharpish then, maybe i will go to a 7ft tank. Thankfully Dad friend makes them, & any that are ordered & cancelled i am able to have rather cheaply, well very cheap as Dad gets them for me. we do also plan to get 3 more to keep him company.
    So far (we have had him 3 months) he doesnot seem skittish, infact very peaceful, & has not attempted to ram tank but i will certainly keep it in mind. Thanks for your advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice