Friend wants to get into fish keeping

1. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

Ok, so with my recent start up with aquariums I have peaked the interest of one of my friends. He wants to do saltwater (which I don't know much about) and I told him I would look into stocking options.

His preferable tank size is 30-40 gallons and really likes the idea of having angelfish and tangs with smaller schooling fish.
    With my next to nothing knowledge of saltwater tanks I don't know what would so could anyone help me with a good stocking list for him? Thanks

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

The main issue is that a 40 gallon aquarium would be too small for any tangs and a little bit too small for most angels. Maybe a Flame Angel or a Coral Beauty though.

4. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

LiterallyHydro Ok, since my original post my friend has decided to go with smaller fish to avoid the problem you mentioned above. He now wants to go with as many smaller fish as he can with a pair of clown fish. Do you have any suggestions?

5. UnkeptSpoon50 Member Member

Blue chromis, peaceful, look pretty, but are more expensive than their less attractive brother, The green chromis. Also, the green chromis believe it or not does not school very well. About 4-3 in a 40 gallon should be good. I would not put a flame angel in a 40 gallon though, get a bit too large, although other dwarf angels could suit you better. Beware that the clownfish are aggressive, especially if they are not percula or ocellaris, especially maroon.

6. LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

There are a huge selection of good nano fish for the aquarium.

Clown Gobies, Watchman Gobies, Firefish, Royal Grammas, Neon Gobies, Ocellaris Clownfish, Clarkii Clownfish among many others.

7. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

LiterallyHydro So with the suggestions you gave could you give us an example of a stock that you would feel comfortable putting in a 45 gallon?

8. LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

9. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

Thank you

10. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

LiterallyHydro
    So I ran these by my friend and he was wondering if this stock would work.
    1 Ocellaris clownfish
    1 six line wrasse
    1 yellow watchman goby
    2-3 blue/green chromis
    What do you think?

11. UnkeptSpoon50 Member Member

I think skip the sixline, they are the spawn of Satan and will prevent you from getting a mandarin. As for chromis, get the blue kind as the green ones sometimes kill each other. Other than that, getting a pair of clowns is much more enjoyable.

12. oscarmk Member Member

I think a 40 breeder would probably be ok for a pigmy angel or flameback angel, but the flame angel would probably not be happy. I have one in a 75 and I can't imagine him on anything smaller, they swim a LOT.

13. LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

A Six Line wrasse wouldn't be a bad addition, but they should definitely be the last fish added to the tank. They would likely not welcome newcomers.

14. DarthMolly Member Member

This thread is a bit old but If you get a research the symbiotic relationship between yellow watchman gobies and pistol shrimp. Its pretty cool