Friend wants otos in 10g. Advise plz

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Our original plan for her new 10 gallon tank was 8-10 male guppies and 2 mystery snails. But now, she found otos and she wants to get them. Should I tell her she can? Or tell her not to? She's a beginner and this is her first tank besides a .4 gallon bowl that over the years housed 6 Betta, and 2 goldfish. One after another. She wants to do it right this time. She said she wants bottom feeders.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would strongly advise against it. They're notoriously difficult to keep alive more than a day or two after bringing them home. Bottom feeders is going to be tough in a 10 gallon tank. I don't suppose upgrading to a 20 would be an option? Then your friend might enjoy a school of panda corys.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JettsPapa said:
I would strongly advise against it. They're notoriously difficult to keep alive more than a day or two after bringing them home. Bottom feeders is going to be tough in a 10 gallon tank. I don't suppose upgrading to a 20 would be an option? Then your friend might enjoy a school of panda corys.
Thank you for your advice. She has now changed it to 5-6 male guppies, 5 pygmy corys, and 1 mystery snail.
And no, unfortunately it's not an option to upgrade

New Threads