Friend Or Foe?

1. Nicola1980

Nicola1980 Valued Member Member

Hi all. I’ve just found this funny looking thing in my 32l fry tank. Anyone have any idea what it is and are they dangerous? I have moss balls and another live plant in there. Do you think it may have came in from that? Thanks
    IMG_2016.jpg

2. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

Looks like an aquatic larvae of an insect. More knowledgeable people will help you to identify the exact species.

3. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

A dragonfly nymph?

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I think it has been determined that these little guys are mayfly or dragonfly babies. Probably won't hurt anything but I would remove it.

5. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

Thanks all. I’ve taken it out but wonder if there will be more? Should I remove all of the stones and give the tank a good clear out? The tank houses 12 three week old fry and a new batch from yesterday, not sure how many

6. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Don't go out of your way. They shouldn't bother your fry. Just, if you see any more, remove them. Because eventually they will grow up and become flying insects.

7. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

Ooh that’s creepy. Don’t like the sound of them getting big enough to fly. I believe it is a damselfly nymph?

8. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't go that far. Big changes in water chemistry wouldn't be good for your young fry. Just remove them if you find more.

9. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

Ok no problem. Thanks for the help all

10. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

Yup, going to chime in that it is a damselfly nymph, and they are carnivorous (the adults are GREAT for eating mosquitos!), so if you rehome it outside, it will help keep nasty bugs at bay. If they are really large they WILL eat fry, but small ones shouldn't be an issue. And they were probably laid directly into your aquarium by one that got into your house, but they could have come in with the moss balls--many people who grow them use large outdoor ponds.

11. OP
    OP
    Nicola1980

Thanks I’m sure it must have came in on the moss balls as I don’t think anything could get in the tank with the type of lid it has but we will never know. I’ll keep an eye out for more and get rid of them if I see them