Friend Needs Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Marinedude17422, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Marinedude17422

Marinedude17422New MemberMember

My friend has a 7g bow front aquarium with lots of plants and a TON of red cherry shrimp. He wants to know a fish he can add that will help keep down the population because he just can't give away or sell any of his fish!

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

He can't sell or give any away on Craigslist or local fish stores? I'm sure many people would be glad to buy cherry shrimp or get some for free

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Marinedude17422

He doesn't have the heart to do it, but is somehow okay with letting something eat thrm

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

No kidding, he could make a good profit off of red cherry shrimp imo.......

5. AquaticBrandon

Haha true, how he doesn't have the heart to give them away or sell them but has the heart to have a fish eat them lol. Just tell your friend that he can make some good money from selling the shrimp.

6. OP
    OP
    Marinedude17422

Who would he sell to?

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Sell them at local clubs or aquabid.

8. AquaticBrandon

Craigslist, FB groups or any clubs

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

eBay, Craigslist, Aquabid, a LFS, or anything else mentioned above.

10. f2002

f2002Valued MemberMember

If the coloring of the shrimps are good, you can sell them for probably $1-$2 per shrimp on Craigslist. I know I would buy some at that price.

He can also try selling to LFS. If they won't buy it, perhaps they will trade him for store credit?

As for what fish would eat the shrimps, my Gold Ram just pretty much decimated my shrimp population.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  11. happyfins14

happyfins14Valued MemberMember

A betta would be happy in a 7 gallon, and would eat the shrimp. But personally I would sell them or give them to the local fish store...

12. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I would convince him to sell them. I wish I knew someone local who has good quality shrimp. If he really doesn't want to deal with selling them, his LFS, even the chain stores like Petco and Petsmart usually accept "donations". If that doesn't work and he's still bent on feeding them to a fish, I had a small channel catfish that loved my shrimp. It's a pretty safe bet that any fish larger than the shrimp will be interested. Good luck to you and your friend! :)